Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5 58mm lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: 5 58mm lenses Reply with quote

I just recieved 2 new 58mm lenses, I also collected one relubed lens from my repairman.

Here are shots (at f/5.6) taken by these 5 lenses. White balance is same for all, so you can compare colors, too.

I think #4 has the best central sharpness and #1 and #5 have very good borders. #5 has also most neutral colors. I think #1, #4 and #5 are overally the best.

But I'd like to see another opinions - I can be biased, because I know which number stands for which lens.

I'll reveal it after some members will share their opinions. Thanks! Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello no-X,

Looking at the lower left corner, the #1, #2 and #5 seem to have been focused a bit differently wrt the #3 and #4 (or it is a lack of sharpness ?). The #3 seems to have a green/cyan dominant wrt the others.

So, my choice goes to #4, at least for its sharpness ...
Which Helios is #4 ?

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pick is definitely number 4.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of them all, #1 has 2nd best corners and detail in the farthest away building, but areas closer to the camera (those in the center are not sharp). Windy day? Misaligned elements? DoF? I have no clue, but the furthest away is sharpest in this shot.

#4 has best corners of all, slight edge to #1 and better than all rest. Center sharpness also best of all, clearly.

Overall, detail isn't exactly jaw-dropping, but it's good in #1 and #4. The rest, modest.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked infinity focus on old Praktica.

#1 nad #5 are 100%
#2 doesn't hit horizont (but it's really close), but anything closer (like these test shots) is OK
#3 and #4 are slightly worse - both about the same, but it seems, that the difference visible on the split-screen doesn't correspond to the difference in test shots... so my conclusion is that the differences are not caused by focusing

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the funniest test I never seen Laughing
you take 5 frames in 3 min and here is the 5 center crop
17:21:23
17:22:23
17:23:14
17:24:00
17:24:49

at 17:23 the flowers get out for sun, after 45 sec they reach a max and 45 sec later they go to sleep

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great catch! Shocked Very Happy

So #4 is definetely the best lens. Vegetation taken by this lens has more flowers Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing #4 is your MMZ-make 44-2 (the new barrel design before it became the MC 44-3)?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the #3 is also a good lens, probably MC Helios 44-7. Best colors for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, here is it:

1. Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar T 58/2, manual version, pre-war style, post-war production (the one with 17 blades) + hood
2. Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar T 58/2, pre-set version (12 blades)
3. MMZ Helios 44-2 58/2, early version
4. KMZ Helios 44-2 58/2, early version, SN #0xxxx (~sample adjusted for factory manager)
5. MMZ Helios 44-3 58/2 MC

I knew, that proper adjustment can make the lens sharper, but now I know, that it can make the flowers bloom, too Smile

The #4 lens is in poor condition - rings are loosy, one screw is missing, front lens has cleaning marks... but it performs flawlessly…

Last edited by no-X on Mon May 11, 2009 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 44-2 pictures are pretty nice.

I had one KMZ made Helios 44-2 and it was pretty good, nice resolution and almost zero CAs, even though mechanically it was quite poor and the focus ring was very stiff. Now i have a 44-6 but it's pretty different, the bokeh isn't smooth as in the 44-2, and it also have way more CAs.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the 44-3 a little soft in all the image...

Just when I bought one...only two days ago Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry to much Chiti, the variation in each singular copy can be quite extreme. It may be that no-x has a weak copy (sorry). You may end up with something that is considerably sharper. As long as it suits your needs you'll be OK. Overall, even the worst of the Helios line demonstrates adequate performance.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
It may be that no-x has a weak copy (sorry).

Look at the pictures. The MMZ 44-3 has much better corners and borders than the MMZ 44-2 (esp. upper part of the image is completely different).

The KMZ 44-2 is good, because it's factory adjusted sample (sn 0xxx). Despite this, the 44-3 has sharper upper left corner.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:
It may be that no-x has a weak copy (sorry).

Look at the pictures. The MMZ 44-3 has much better corners and borders than the MMZ 44-2 (esp. upper part of the image is completely different).

The KMZ 44-2 is good, because it's factory adjusted sample (sn 0xxx). Despite this, the 44-3 has sharper upper left corner.

That's true, the 44-3 also looks warmer which isn't a bad thing.