Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The cockatoos are in town ..Tamron 55B Mirror lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: The cockatoos are in town ..Tamron 55B Mirror lens Reply with quote

It is that time of year for the Cockatoos to come to town and raid this tree.It was overcast as we are having a cold day about 20C and dropping .....and they expect snow in the high country... Shocked
The last few I managed to get very close and they still kept eating (yay!!)...oh for good light when these moments happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Such a lovely series!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila,these guys booted out the Rosellas.I am hoping the Rosellas will come back for their turn for a photo. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Thanks Attila,these guys booted out the Rosellas.I am hoping the Rosellas will come back for their turn for a photo. Very Happy

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice with the exception of #2 which is not focused well.

I was expecting to see circles in the OOF areas but not so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell when you have strong light you get the stronger donuts.
#2 was taken early on when I first started taking the images, by the last image I was warmed up and a bit more stable Very Happy. I decided to include it because these birds are fairly heavy and when the bird was walking up to the seeds he did not look very stable at all = Out on a limb. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking birds! They are wild... yes?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are wild...they come every year at this time when this tree has its berries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great series...thanks Mo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Mo. More great shots from a very nice lens.

So, what's the size of this flock? How long do the cockatoos hang out? I assume until they've depleted the tree of its berries, so I guess I'm wondering how long that takes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Strange to see them in the wild.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael
There was only about 5 in this tree and yes they keep coming back until the tree is stripped (I will take a photo of the carnage they leave under the tree)...and the Rosella's a smaller colorful parrot tries to get in and eat the berries in between their visits. Smile This is roughly the 3rd day hanging around this particular tree.I have to find out what the trees name is.

The Cockatoos can flock in their 100s + and destroy a lot of vegetation when they get going! This is one reason I went MF because I found I hated the AF hunting while trying to focus on a bird.
I am not a expert it is just what I have seen and heard.
http://www.billabongsanctuary.com.au/aussie_animals/sulphur_crested_Cockatoo.html You may find this interesting.

Yes, you can say my little Tamron 55b mirror lens is a very nice lens,my copy certainly justifies its reputation. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, this is some really exotic stuff, at least for my eyes; Thanks for sharing Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice pictures - never mind the slightly misfocused one, there's no sign of camera shake Smile . Did you use a tripod or was the Pentax'e image stabilization lending a helping hand?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots, they show very well what can be done using a mirror lens, you seem to have avoided a lot of donut bokeh.

hoanpham wrote:
Very nice. Strange to see them in the wild.

You would be surprised what sometimes lives in the wild. There is a sizable population of rose-ringed parakeets in my country, which is definitely not tropical by any means Smile .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting to see such beautiful birds in the wild. Nice work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the eucalyptus tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid stuff Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Really nice pictures - never mind the slightly misfocused one, there's no sign of camera shake Smile . Did you use a tripod or was the Pentax'e image stabilization lending a helping hand?

Hi Stephen
All hand held and yes I think the Pentax image stabilization helps a lot in this situation.
I find a tripod in this situation would possibly be more of a hindrance as I was slowly moving forward and managed to get quite close.I don't know if carrying a tripod would allow me to achieve that...plus I went outside saw the birds and went and grabbed the camera...no thought of a tripod.I am comfortable with this lens and I think I have my technique worked out. Very Happy ..subject to improvement,tips.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider a monopod, Mo. As you can no doubt imagine, it is much more flexible in terms of use than a tripod, but it can deliver tripod-like results. I used a monopod often with my old Sigma 600 mirror and found that it did a good job of controlling shake. Back in those days I was shooting mostly Kodachrome 64 and Fuji 100, so shutter speeds were often at or below their lower limits for handholdability, thus it was better to have the monopod handy for my work.

As to what kind or brand of monopod, there are many to choose from. I have two: a lightweight Gitzo and a sturdier Bogen (now Manfrotto). With both I used a ball head and I found that the ball head was the monopod's most useful feature -- more so than weight or what brand the monopod was.

Having written all the above, however, the shots you got were quite sharp, so your setup is working well just as it is. The time may come though when you're working in failing light or low morning light, etc., such that the Pentax's IS routines are not able to counteract enough movement, in which case a monopod might just be the ticket.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts Michael,I have considered a monopod for that very reason...I just haven't stopped buying lens and concentrated on getting a decent monopod Laughing

I just took the Vivitar series 1 70-210 out to try and capture the Rosellas...now that is a heavy lens...give me the Tamron any day. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done !

Great use of a mirror lens.