Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EL Nikkor 50/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: EL Nikkor 50/2.8 Reply with quote

OK, so I just happened to buy a nice EL Nikkor 50/2.8 Enlarger lens from the bay without knowing much about it. Heard that enlarger lenses are optimized for a flat field of view and so is suitable for macro work.

Any experiences?

So how do I use it on a camera (not very much inclined to use bellows). Does this lens have a M39 mount? Is a Nikon F to M39 adapter available or is there some other way out. I have a Nikon PK13 extension tube, will that help. Lens reversal (have a BR2 adapter as well)?

Whew... a lot of questions...am excited I guess.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, enlarger lenses are superb for macro. I have used them as such for many years with some stunning results.

Unfortunately bellows is the best way to go, as you'll need something to alter the lens-to-film distance for focusing.

But if you hang around for five minutes, a Nikon expert will appear here with the specific information for your camera Cool

By the way, that EL 50/2.8 is a stunning lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens is great indeed. The original Nikon Adapter to M39 is very expensive now (ca $120) - IF you can find one. Much cheaper is the Novoflex NIKLEI which does same.

OR get a cheap russian M39-M42 ring ($5) plus a cheap Nikon - M42 adaptor ($10-15) and your all set.

Then either buy that great M42 focusing long helicoid our friend hk200 (Alex) has to offer here (or go through Attila) and another such M42-Nikon adaptor and you're set.

Or get a bellows and do the same!

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happens I just acquired the same lens (for less than $10, which is robbery). Here is a picture I took with it mounted on an Accura helicoid of a flower approximately 1/4 inch across:

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was after one of these but they always went beyond my budget. I settled for a Schneider Componon-S 2.8/50 with a clickstop override. It only arrived yesterday and I didn't get a chance to try it, but it's mounted on bellows ready for action. If it's anything like the Nikon shots that Patrick took I'll be happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I settled for a Schneider Componon-S 2.8/50 with a clickstop override.

Settled for? Settled? That is up there with the finest enlarger lenses ever made!

Settled for! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 28 megapixel 3x3 tilted and shifted mosaic done with an El-Nikkor 50mm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/etfrench/P4297831al.jpg

And a 110 megapixel focus stacked mosaic with the same lens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/etfrench/P4187709_2cs.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
I settled for a Schneider Componon-S 2.8/50 with a clickstop override.

Settled for? Settled? That is up there with the finest enlarger lenses ever made!

Settled for! Shocked

Lol, well it's cheaper than the Nikon. I'm hoping to test it on a wet weekend on some old coins.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:

Settled for! Shocked

So, 60 quid is a good price, then?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Settled for! Shocked

Personally, I think it's a hell of a lot of optical perfection for 60 quid. I have no idea the price they usually go for though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Enlarger lenses Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Settled for! Shocked

Personally, I think it's a hell of a lot of optical perfection for 60 quid. I have no idea the price they usually go for though.

I got my Componon 50/5.6 for a fiver, an El-Nikkor 50/4 for about the same (might have been £4) - both like new - but I went mad and spent £20 on a 60mm Focotar. One day I'll take the cover off the Valoy and buy some paper and chemicals ... or try them on my bellows unit ! The latter will be the simplest way to have fun with them.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Schneider 2.8/50 was 16gbp with £3.50 postage.