Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios and pancolar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Helios and pancolar Reply with quote

I have two helios MC 44-3 (1986) and MC 44M-7 (1993); and my lovely pancolar MC 1,8/50 (10.0xx.xxx).

The pancolar is the best of the three by far. I say: higher resolution power, high contrast, more 3D. Well.....

The two helios are almost the same lens. I can't see any differences in IQ among them. Only a different color transmission, may be by differences between the coated.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Rino - put your money where your words are and show us some proof Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
Okay Rino - put your money where your words are and show us some proof Wink

+1 Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.

My money is there.

Slides are in scanning process at laboratory.

It takes @ a week.

Is it hard to anybody? Well, pancolar is better. Wink

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the results when they come in Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I use old lenses the more I see a personality in each lens.
Comparisons are nice but every lens has its strength.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:
The more I use old lenses the more I see a personality in each lens.
Comparisons are nice but every lens has its strength.

Yes, it's only a game. No more than this.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Smile

I love mostly the old triplets and their derivates, which are not very sharp, but which have strong charakter... I prefer Primoplan 58/1.9 over Biotar 58/2, Trioplan 50/2.9 over Tessar 50/2.8 and also the soft 75-80mm Primoplans over Biotar.

On the other hand, I prefer the character of 58mm Biotar (or pre-set Helios) over 50mm Pancolar. I think the newer lens, the more neutral results.

However there's one exception for me - I like more 80mm Pancolar than 75mm Biotar. Maybe I didn't find the right way how to use it yet, but for now the Pancolar wins Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Exactly Smile

I love mostly the old triplets and their derivates, which are not very sharp, but which have strong charakter...
On the other hand, I prefer the character of 58mm Biotar (or pre-set Helios) over 50mm Pancolar. I think the newer lens, the more neutral results...

And what about the SMC tak 1,4/50? Biotar/helios pre-set are better than the SMC too? Wink Very Happy

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, S-M-C 50/1.4 has stronger character than the Pancolar and it's also more universal. I use it if sharpness is priority Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime I read test different. I have enough AF lenses for standard situations, but if a lens is rated with soft or soft edges I see this as a perfect lens for portraits. Some lens give paintinglike images, some are not useful because of flares against sunlight. It is much more work to know your "baby".
I have the Helios 40-2 and the Pancolar 1.8/80 and the Helios is unique when you want to use its swirly bokeh, but the Pancolar is a small lens which does not behave like a DIVA. And for this reason and because I did more shots that I liked for the overall impression - I like Pancolar most.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
For me, S-M-C 50/1.4 has stronger character than the Pancolar and it's also more universal. I use it if sharpness is priority Smile

Well done, man!! Very Happy

I ask to you that because i know your opinion about the SMC. Very Happy

It's a great lens, of course. F/2,8 to 5,6 is simply marvelous. The pancolar 1,8/50 at F/5,6 is pair to the SMC, but at F/8-11 surpase to the SMC. And F/5,6 to 11 are the apertures that i use most of the time with the 50 mm.
But a SMC not so yellowish and at good price, RUN TO ME!!! Laughing

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many other reasons why I like the S-M-C, not only the sharpness:

1. f/1.4
2. 8 aperture blades, no hexagons (or other edgy shapes) in bokeh when stopped down
3. smooooooth focusing Smile
4. no problems with oily blades

I understand, that we have different priorities and that's why we prefer different lenses. We also use different DSLR bodies, which could also affect our experience.