Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CRT vs LCD output
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: CRT vs LCD output Reply with quote

I'm rather bothered by comments made by friends about some images I routinely upload. The most common comments are low contrast, and high noise. Now, I'm still using a CRT when most people are using LCDs, so I expect there are differences in output. My CRT is calibrated, but when I try the exact same image on my school's LCD screens (they're also calibrated), the images do indeed look washed out and noisy. Something like what happens when I crank up the brightness on my CRT.

Has anyone noticed this phenomenon? On one hand I've adjusted my screen to print properly and be comfortable to my eyes, but on the other, I'd also like people to be able to see my images the way I see them on my CRT. One way is printing, sure, but is there a good way for digital images?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mac vs. World gamma issue? Up until recently, Apple had flawed Gamma, 1.8, while the rest of the Universe (TV, cinema, and even Windoze) use 2.2, for good reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCD often are more contrasty and always sharper.
The way an image looks like is very different when looked at on a CRT than on a LCD.
That's why everybody who looks at pictures should state which display he uses when he comments on photos. My 2c.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's forget LCD for REAL adjustments of pictures..

CRT is still better --

I don't use CRT at all -- but I would buy the BARCO -- propably the best CRT ever made and still on the top..

It's going very cheap on ebay sometimes --- Smile which is NOT IS THIS CASE..

http://cgi.ebay.com/29-Barco-Monitor-ICD-674_W0QQitemZ350195465318QQcmdZViewItemQQptZComputer_Monitors?hash=item518946bc66&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_636wt_1167

tf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Och...that's one heftily priced monitor. Anyway, it's not an Apple thing, though I have viewed my pictures on my iBook and they do look a lot like the stuff on the school's PC LCDs.

Mmm I guess ultimately there's no real way to ensure that people see what I do, except perhaps to process the images separately for LCDs and perhaps come up with a set of recorded photoshop actions to do that for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi fenris --

from my point of view -- one of the best CRT monitors were IIYAMA

So, the rest of the world should be equipped by IIYAMA at least Smile

LCD is a crap -- especially from some angle of view ..

Tf

Last edited by trifox on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CRT vs LCD output Reply with quote

fenris wrote:
I'm rather bothered by comments made by friends about some images I routinely upload. The most common comments are low contrast, and high noise. Now, I'm still using a CRT when most people are using LCDs, so I expect there are differences in output. My CRT is calibrated, but when I try the exact same image on my school's LCD screens (they're also calibrated), the images do indeed look washed out and noisy. Something like what happens when I crank up the brightness on my CRT.

Has anyone noticed this phenomenon? On one hand I've adjusted my screen to print properly and be comfortable to my eyes, but on the other, I'd also like people to be able to see my images the way I see them on my CRT. One way is printing, sure, but is there a good way for digital images?

Some web browsers (newer Firefox) utilize the color profile in an image; some (IE) do not. Friend's browsers may not be using the color profile...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: CRT vs LCD output Reply with quote

Yes that's something that didn't occur to me. It's a possibility for sure. In fact, I suspect that might just be the issue. I remember that I used to have radically different results viewing the same image from photoshop, and then from my browser.

siriusdogstar wrote:

Some web browsers (newer Firefox) utilize the color profile in an image; some (IE) do not. Friend's browsers may not be using the color profile...