Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon FA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Nikon FA Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Recently i bought a nikon FA body on Ebay and I've been testing it with my AF-S nikon lens.

The problem is that when i'm using the shutter priority mode i always get the "F--" indication on the LCD.

The instructions manual states that you get that message whenever the camera body isn't able to recognize the lens minimum aperture.

Does anyone knows if this occurs with every af-s or with any af modern lens (with aperture ring), or if it could be some problem with the camera. So far i tested the following lens; nikkor af-s 75-300; nikkor af-s 28-85; tamron 90mm; sigma 100-300 DG/HSM.

Thanks.
Nuno Santos - Portugal.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an LCD display inside in viewer.

I used mine with AIS lenses , this message is not normal if you use matched lenses.

Do you have manual ?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a FA but have an FG which has the same modes as FA (Aperture priority, Shutter Priority, Manual and Program). In all camera system which relies on mechanical contacts to relay aperture information to the camera the lens has to be set on the smallest aperture (or the highest f number) to be able to recognise the shutter priority or the program (full auto) mode.

Have you set the aperture to the highest f number (f16, f22 or f32 in most cases). All AFS lenses are AIs lenses and should work with your FA (except the G lenses as rightly pointed out).

If this does not work.. there is something wrong with the camera Crying or Very sad

Hope this helps !!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I guess i understand what's the problem, in fact is not a question of lens compatibility. Yesterday i noticed that the "maximum aperture indexing lever" (a small plastic part right bellow the mirror) is broken. Without reading the lens max apertute the camera isn't able to work on P and on "shutter priority" mode.
Thanks for your help.
Nuno Santos.