Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Light metering test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Light metering test Reply with quote

Due I made some badly metered 6x9 images I thought I have to check my light meter (Gössen Lunasix 3) perhaps doesn't measure well enough.

I took my best camera out a Nikon FA + a compact digital as control I made three different shoots based on these instruments suggestion. I got almost same result. Now I am relaxed a bit my light meter works fine.

Nikon FA is a trully fantastic camera to me I rate above than Pentax MX or Olympus OM-2 and rate lot more higher than any DSLR what I kept in my hands.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must do this test as well. I have an old Gossen Sixon that I don't trust at all these days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it start to cheating after two -three months I use hearing-aid (zinc-air ) batteries.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Checking exposure meter Reply with quote

Everyone should have a Weston Master V or a Weston Euro-Master as a reference tool. Selenium cell, incredibly long-lasting and dependable, born in the USA and brought to perfection in Britain. It needs no battery and reads over an angle of about 30 degrees - far less than most selenium types but just wide enough to make it oh-so-easy to use. Get the "Invercone" for it and enjoy incident light readings too.

You can buy them on Ebay for very little money these days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd agree with that. Except I lost my IV, which was just SO reliable. Some lucky git probably found it at the beach Sad

I replaced it a few weeks ago with a truly old III, complete with invercone and ND filter (which they used with the cone in bright light) and full two-part leather case and original manual. It works perfectly, I couldn't believe it would after so many years.

Best six quid I ever spent Very Happy

I still need to test that Sixon though, it's so dinky and light and handy to take everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking exposure meter Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Everyone should have a Weston Master V or a Weston Euro-Master as a reference tool. Selenium cell, incredibly long-lasting and dependable, born in the USA and brought to perfection in Britain. It needs no battery and reads over an angle of about 30 degrees - far less than most selenium types but just wide enough to make it oh-so-easy to use. Get the "Invercone" for it and enjoy incident light readings too.

Is it not too old ? Works perfect after this long period ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking exposure meter Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
scsambrook wrote:

Is it not too old ? Works perfect after this long period ?

Yes, they seem to go almost forever. My Weston II made about 1953 finally gave out a couple of years ago - so almost but not QUITE forever !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cool! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking exposure meter Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

I agree. I still use my Master V for reference and often use it on shoots for quick incident light readings when the light is tricky or setting up a diffuser. It often seems that almost everybody I ever go on a shoot with also has one and uses it. It doesn't seem to matter how old they get I still see people using old ll and lll versions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an old GE meter...I forget the model number currently. It must be at least 30 years old and gives very accurate readings. It is about twice as heavy as any digital camera and fully metal!

~Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is the one: Click here to see on Ebay

If the listing is right...scratch the guess of 30 years...more like 70? Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Well this is the one: Click here to see on Ebay

If the listing is right...scratch the guess of 30 years...more like 70? Shocked

No, I don't think so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sekonic L-358 light meter which works ok as a flash meter but I think it tends to under expose a bit when measuring ambient.

Just about all my cameras give a different reading it seems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Gossen Sixtomat which I take out with old cameras. Easy to use, reliable, accurate and cost less than a pound! Exposure problems usually come from my cameras, whose speeds are less than accurate. I find it's often worth matching the meter to the camera with a test roll to compensate for all the inconsistencies of the old kit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
I have an old Gossen Sixtomat which I take out with old cameras. Easy to use, reliable, accurate and cost less than a pound! Exposure problems usually come from my cameras, whose speeds are less than accurate. I find it's often worth matching the meter to the camera with a test roll to compensate for all the inconsistencies of the old kit.

Any problems getting batteries for those or does it run off selenium cells?