Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

In camera sepia conversion (SupeTakumar lens on Pentax K10D)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: In camera sepia conversion (SupeTakumar lens on Pentax K10D) Reply with quote

A shot from today of an old schooner. I thought that a sepia version would look nice, and in my Pentax K10D it is possible to do a sepia conversion. This is direct from the camera, only resized. The lens used is the Super-Takumar 20mmF4.5.

Does it work?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a beautiful photo of the ship, no argument there Very Happy

As ever though, camera and software manufacturers idea of Sepia toning is at fault, as always. For whatever reason, they think sepia needs to look like a shit stain, like it's been soaked in the toilet overnight with a turd.

I think the photo would look good with an aged monochrome look, but best I think to play with the colour tints in software rather rely on the camera.

No offence meant, I just think you can do better on your own Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Graham, no offence taken.

I wanted to try the effect, but I feel the sepia colour is a bit over the top myself - too much orange, perhaps.
But the schooner is nice, anyway. I have signed up of a six day trip in July and hope for a lot of photo opportunities.

Last edited by LaHo on Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subject matter and the nice edge detail catch my eye.

My suggestion, if you have Photoshop, is to try Duotone, in CS2 you can go as far as Quadtone. It gives you great ability to adjust the sepia look.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do not really like the in-cam sepia function, because it's exaggerated mostly.
If you want to use it, use it with high ISO (1600), low contrast settings and a lens (or lens hood) that show corner vignetting. That kinda works.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Something to think about ...