Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exa II?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Exa II? Reply with quote

I may have an opportunity to buy an EXA II with a Tessar 50/2.8 in good shape. I'm not familiar with these - would this be a good place to start with the Exaktas?

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ihagee.org/

and this forum we have many Exakta Fan here including me..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Exa II? Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I may have an opportunity to buy an EXA II with a Tessar 50/2.8 in good shape. I'm not familiar with these - would this be a good place to start with the Exaktas?

thanks

Hello Nesster - Yes, provided it's in proper working order it's a good way to get involved with the Exakta family. Exa II doesn't have instant return mirror, and usually a rather dim ground-glass screen (sometimes with split image rangefinder), so it really gives you the feeling of 1950s photography. Check the shutter and film winding are working okay - speeds only go from 1/2 to 1/250th sec, and the blinds run vertically

Later Exas have brighter screens (microprisms and/or split image), instant return mirror and 1/500th speed (on Exa 500). They take virtually all the Exakta lenses, but you get cut-off with some long ones because of the reduced size of the camera throat.

Exas are still quite inexpensive. I had one (a IIa) and enjoyed using it just as much as my Varex IIb.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost everybody vote including met to Varex IIa or Varex IIb. Exa II a toy camera compare with Varex II. I suggest to wait and buy Varex II instead.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, due to circumstances in my life right now I'll pass on this.

The seller is a Russian camera repair guy I know from the regular camera show. His ebay postings are underwhelming, but when he says something works, it works. Wink

Click here to see on Ebay

He's got an interesting Contaflex too, is this a better buy?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know contaflex.

I have two varex II body one of yours if you want to take it. 45 USD + shipping body in excellent condition.

or try to grab this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd need to recurtain that Ebay one Attila. Sad

The lens on the other hand... Wink Cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't recognise ... thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contaflex are often pretty cheap, and usually cheaper than that listing. But they are also very often defective (maybe explaining the cheapness), and they are much harder to fix than Exa's or Exaktas. There would be some value to a guaranteed Contaflex.

That said, I love my Contaflex. It just feels nice to use.