Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tips for Cheap 1st Rangefinder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Tips for Cheap 1st Rangefinder Reply with quote

I'm thinking of trying out a rangefinder to see if I like them. I want something that is fairly reliable and it's main use would probably be wide angle landscape or street photography.

Any tips for buying something that isn't going to cost much?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica Electro 35 without hesitation I got one from Andy (F16Sunshine) truly amazing camera produce superb result still the best one what I seen from cheap ones. Problem is many of them on Ebay not working fine.

Sample made with cheap film, this camera produced best result to me on cheap film including my $$ lenses and cameras like Olympus OM 18mm or Heliar 15mm or Nikkor UD 20 etc.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/yashica_electro_35/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the Yashicas are very good with great lenses. If you want wider though, say, the classic 35mm street focal length, pickings are slimmer.

I can think of the Olympus XA, and there's a Yashica Electro CC

Here's a good intro
http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what your budget is; 'not much' is pretty subjective. The Canonet QL17-GIII has a 40mm f/1.7 lens, and its price is generally pretty good considering its specs.

You might also look at some interchangeable lens models: Zorki 4's are cheap, and you can get the 35/2.8 Jupiter-12 lens to fit. The lens will probably cost more than the camera. Another one to consider is an Argus C44 - it also has an available 35mm wide angle, made by Steinheil. The Argus and Zorki are both generally reliable, though neither is perfect; the Argus' shutter is distinctly audible, so don't sneak around with that one. The Canonet above is about as silent as a camera can get.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose budget wise I'm looking at 20-60GBP. So some of the ones listed are too pricey.

Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zorki 4 should fit well into your budget. It will come with a 50mm lens rather than a wide angle, but you can add that later as conditions permit.

There are also a large variety of generic Japanese fixed-lens, leaf-shutter rangefinders that don't cost much, and many have lenses in the 40-45mm range for a slightly wider view.

Another that you might find is the Agfa Super Solinette, a nicely made German fixed-lens model with coupled rangefinder. It's very smooth and quiet and came with either an f/3.5 (Apotar, I think) or an excellent f/2.0 Solinar lens. At least the f/3.5 model, and perhaps both, should fall within your budget. Reliability and quality with this camera should be no problem; the only thing to watch for is stiff focusing, Agfa used a funny grease that hardened with age. If you get an example that focuses smoothly it's a very nice camera.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap fixed lens RF:
- Minolta Hi-Matic F (2.7/38 )
- Ricoh 500 RF (2.8/40)

A little more expensive, but still within your budget:
- Olympus 35 RC (2.8/42)
- Rollei XF 35 (2.3/40)

Even a little more expensive:
- Minolta Hi-Matic E(1.7/40)
- Yashica Electro 35 GS (1.7/45)
- AGFA Super Silette Automatic (2.8/50)
- AGFA Super Silette 2 (2.0/50)

The only exchangeable lens RF I have is the very affordable FED-3b.
And I have these leses to go with it:
- Jupiter-12 2.8/35 P
- Jupiter-8 2.0/50
- Industar-61 L/D 2.8/53
Each of these lenses is recommendable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look of the Oly 35 RC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 35ES or Minolta Hi-Matic F
Both have had films through them last year and were OK all light seals checked and replaced if needed all working as should be and in nice condition.

£20 for the Minolta £30 for the Vivitar + P & P

mail me if you want one of them.

P.S I no longer want them as I don't use much film and have the Ricoh 500G and Olympus XA when I want to play.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll PM you about the Vivitar. Looks a nice camera reading the spec.

I also found your sample pics from the `other' forum. They look more than good enough for my ability. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera is on the way to you tomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived today. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old National PE-145 flash that I want to use with this camera. Any idea what the GN setting should be on? I have no documents with the flash.

I've found a distance scale for the flash and it says F4 @ 3.5m at 100asa, so if I understand GN properly, it's 4x3.5= GN of 14.

Am I correct? Sorry for such a basic question, but I'm used to TTL, light meters and chimping.
Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an Xa, and i think it's very comfortable to take around while you travel, work or whatever. It's very small and fits in almost every pocket. As huge positives, it has a 35 2.8 lens and it uses common batteries as LR/SR44.

On the cons side, i can think only about its viewfinder patch which it's not as visible as in other cameras, but still usable. The other cons is that its prices are a bit high on ebay, but i think you can buy one for 50$.

If you're interested about other cameras i think Yashicas and Canonets are interesting and has been sold in zillions pieces.