Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zenit 15m
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Zenit 15m Reply with quote

I just bought the Zenit 15m camera along with a helios 44m-?(Probably 6) and a Mir 1V. Plus it comes with one of those fancy Russian bakelite cases. The whole bundle was $40. Maybe not the best deal I've gotten but it has been getting really difficult to get the Mir alone for less than that. Anyways here is some information on the camera: According to Princelle it was a copy of KMZ's 12sd model just under some redesigned ABS plastic. Production figures are not availible but by the looks of it it was only produced for one year, 1995. The last link makes several assumptions that, from what I can gather, are not very true. The shape is unique so it may not be be a "throw-together" model.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/wiki/default.asp?ImageID=710&ParentID=1&WikiCatID=73&ContentID=234

http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?797302526

http://www.commiecameras.com/sov/35mmsinglelensreflexcameras/cameras/zenit/index.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a rare find especially if its got the 1-1000 shutter speed, otherwise its basically a plastic Belomo Zenit 12- not that its a bad thing, to me the plastic zenits from Belomo are often smoother and less clunky than the metal ones. I have a Zenit 21xs which is, to me, identical in shape to yours, but has the same 30-500 speeds as the Zenit 12. I would agree the Helios is likely a 44m-6 but could be a -4 -5 or -7 as well, my 21xs should have a 44m-7, according to its documents, but alas came body only. It has a Zenitar 50/1.7 from a Zenit 19 here

Very Happy not the best pics but gives you the idea

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something very satisfying about these cameras. They feel big and chunky and bomb-proof. Mind you, next to most dSLR cameras, they feel quite small Confused

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it is not the 15m prototype with the expanded shutter speeds. I normally stayed away from Belomo-make zenits, as the KMZ ones are considered a bit 'better' (small things like glue for the shutter curtains being stronger), but from what I've read recently if you get a good one they can be a really reliable camera. One member in another forum found his smoothest zenit was actually a Belomo.

I'm really anxious to see what helios it turns out to be. I would rather it not be the 44m-6. When I made a trade with forum member Shad, he generously included this lens in the box, and I'd like to have a little comparative shootout with the various versions that I have.

@Graham - Clunky Yes! Big, I don't know if I'd agree with you there. As far as I know they are one of the smallest m42 mount cameras, only bested by the fujica and a small portion of the cosina/vivitar line. The older zenits may feel bigger since they are quite heavy and not ergonomic in the least (with the case attached they are much much better). The newer plastic ones have a nice overall feel and are quite tiny. Just my opinion though.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

@Graham - Clunky Yes! Big, I don't know if I'd agree with you there. As far as I know they are one of the smallest m42 mount cameras, only bested by the fujica and a small portion of the cosina/vivitar line.

Oh really? My experience of Zenits is of the older ones I must confess. Might well be worth checking one out then. Very Happy Can't have too many M42 bodies Cool

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't have too many M42 bodies

Confused For some reason in the past couple of months I've gone from 2 working bodies to 12....my plea for extra Zenit bodies in the US, a couple of good deals on ebay, and a number of flea market buys has really amounted to way more than I ever thought possible...

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats how I started collecting Zenits, every time I bought a Russian lens it had a Zenit attached, so I tried to get at least 1 of every variety, including the M39 and K mount. Still trying too.....
Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Thats how I started collecting Zenits, every time I bought a Russian lens it had a Zenit attached, so I tried to get at least 1 of every variety, including the M39 and K mount. Still trying too.....
Very Happy

I have an unwanted EM seeking a home if you need spares.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might well be interested in that Martin, I can always use a body for spares, is it black or silver? not that it matters really.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's black and has a fairly good ERC.

If interested, PM your address to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done so thanks Very Happy