Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you float?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: How do you float? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the expression is right but I mean selecting the object from a photo and then removing background.

How do you select, what tools?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way for me is to use a mask. In GIMP, I add a mask on the layer and simply "paint" in black the parts I want to remove.

I use this to blur the background when there is too much DOF (working with 2 identical layers, the bottom layer being blurred with a gaussian blur).

A tablet is useful for that purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from mask, one of the lasso tools can be handy as well. As I like using Elements rather than the full product, I end up using the lasso a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the mask-tip. Anyone tried the "intelligent scissors"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Thank you for the mask-tip. Anyone tried the "intelligent scissors"

The Dumb scissors! No good for photos.

Layer masks are quick and easy for most selections.
If you are using Photoshop selection with paths is the most accurate and about the only way of doing fine selections like hair.
To remove all background see Jieffe’s reply and replace his blur layer with a suitable plain or transparent one, use the eraser to remove the easy stuff then make fine selections with the pen tool (Paths) to remove the rest.
Very quick and easy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the subject and how you want to make it float, there's a technique I talk about here that works really well; fast and clean Wink I don't know if I should be happy or sad that this is one of the most viewed sets I have on Flickr Very Happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawhead/sets/72157613447137103/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead - that's excellent, clever!

Rolling Eyes my most viewed photos on flickr are pictures of nothing. People use them for layers and frames and such. I share your happy/pain. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
rawhead - that's excellent, clever!

Rolling Eyes my most viewed photos on flickr are pictures of nothing. People use them for layers and frames and such. I share your happy/pain. Laughing

Thanks! I Hope it helps somebody Smile