Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Battle of the 200s!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Battle of the 200s!! Reply with quote

Well, I appear to have amassed a collection of 200mm primes!! So what better way to work off my Saturday night hangover than with a quick indoors flower test! Laughing

All pictures are PP free (no sharpening!), although a couple have had their exposure tweaked. Note - everything looks a bit contrasty on my screen, I think Photoshop's been meddling with the pics when producing JPGs! I'm nore interested in IQ with this test though to be honest, focusing on the inside of the gerbera.

The contenders:

(From left to right)

1. Soligor 200/3.5 (Tokina with A/M switch)
2. Soligor 200/4.5 (Late pre-set Tokina I think)
3. Hanimex 200/4.5 (Early pre-set Tokina I think)
4. Pentacon 200/4 (Early pre-set model)
5. Photax 200/4.5 (Late pre-set something or other!!!)

And just for fun, I tested "old trusty" Tamron 103A 80-210/3.8-4 at 200mm as well Smile

First up, wide open:

Soligor 200/3.5

Crop

Soligor 200/4.5

Crop

Hanimex 200/4.5

Crop

Pentacon 200/4

Crop

Photax 200/4.5

Crop

Tamron 103A

Crop

And now for F5.6 shots:

Soligor 200/3.5

Crop

Soligor 200/4.5

Crop

Hanimex 200/4.5

Crop

Pentacon 200/4

Crop

Photax 200/4.5

Crop

Tamron 103A

Crop

And now for F8:

Soligor 200/3.5

Crop

Soligor 200/4.5

Crop

Hanimex 200/4.5

Crop

Pentacon 200/4

Crop

Photax 200/4.5

Crop

Tamron 103A

Crop

I know this isn't a proper test, as one subject (indoors) can never be enough, but hopefully it's of use to someone!!

To me, this test shows that any of these lenses can produce decent shots. My faves have to be the Soligor 200/3.5 and "old trusty" himself Smile The biggest surprise for me was the Hanimex, superb for £4.00!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, was surprised with the Hanimex! The crop shows GREAT clarity, compared to the others! The Tamron takes the prize here, but all of them seem pretty close to each other in their "second place" roles.

It looks like, for my purposes, that just about any of them would be just fine. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor 200/3,5 for me.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I too, was surprised with the Hanimex! The crop shows GREAT clarity, compared to the others! The Tamron takes the prize here, but all of them seem pretty close to each other in their "second place" roles.

It looks like, for my purposes, that just about any of them would be just fine. Shocked

Interesting that you think the Tamron 103A (A zoom) ‘Takes the prize.’
You should try the Tamron adaptall 2 f3.5 200mm prime 04B. I have used it for a number of years and yet to find anything better, sharp from wide open.
My other choices would also be Tamron zooms at 200mm, the 19AH and the SP 35-210 and the SP 60-300. I would also include the Super Takumar f4 200mm (M42) in the list though it can be prone to a little CA wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob: Yes, I was rather surprised at the Tamron, in light of it being a zoom.

In the same breath, I have a great affinity towards the Tamron manufactured lenses. I respect your opinion, especially based on your overall photographic output. So on that note, I will find a Tamron 3.5/200 prime. I totally appreciate your input.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats - a tamron 200/3.5 just sold on fealB yesterday for $23.50

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Soligor 200/3,5 for me.

Rino.

Yep, that look like a winner for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Hi Rob: Yes, I was rather surprised at the Tamron, in light of it being a zoom.

In the same breath, I have a great affinity towards the Tamron manufactured lenses. I respect your opinion, especially based on your overall photographic output. So on that note, I will find a Tamron 3.5/200 prime. I totally appreciate your input.

The Adaptall 2 f3.5 200mm often sells for little money as 200mm is such a common FL.
I would put it alongside SP lenses for quality, it wasn't an SP only because f3.5 200mm isn't anything special aperture or FL wise.
I do try not to be biased towards Tamrom lenses, but they have always made such good lenses. Even todays AF ones take a lot of beating. I have a few friends with the Tamron 55-200 AF and it is fantastic and just about unbelievable when you consider the price, same applies to their ultra wide Zoom and the LD Di 70-300.
I would love a Tam AF 200-500 but just can't warrant the cost vs use issue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
estudleon wrote:
Soligor 200/3,5 for me.

Rino.

Yep, that look like a winner for me.

And for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents !

I just got a soligor 200mm f3.5 for 16,50 €.
I'm quite happy after having seen these topic's pictures and reading your comments.

I have to wait for it now.

In fact, i received a super paragon 200mm f3.3 (which is very very close to a Chinon. I think it's the same) for free with a 135mm f2.8. Only problem : haze. I made some shots and they were quite overexposed. So i decided to try to clean it... and made it worse.
When i looked at the shots i took, i tried to make some post treatment in DPP... and discovered how sharp. So, as i loved the range, i decided to bid on this Soligor.

Just 3 pics from the super paragon i made worse Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliver, the Photax in this test was actually branded Super Paragon, so possibly very similar? I'd say it performed the worst in this test anyway. You'll be far better off with the Soligor!

If anyone wants to make me an offer for the Soligor 200/4.5, please PM me for further info. It's in lovely condition and is a t-mount.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Hi Oliver, the Photax in this test was actually branded Super Paragon, so possibly very similar? I'd say it performed the worst in this test anyway. You'll be far better off with the Soligor!

If anyone wants to make me an offer for the Soligor 200/4.5, please PM me for further info. It's in lovely condition and is a t-mount.

Thanks Shrek. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very impressed with the Hanimex as well! Much better than I would have expected (I would have guessed somewhere around Chinon).

Last edited by eeyore_nl on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I saw again your test. It´s a marvelous test with greats lenses.

My prefer is the 3,5 soligor, but the other soligor is very good too (something cold, taste quid).

Pentacon has nice colors and good sharpness at F/8. At this aperture almost all given a good pics in the test.

In this "200 battle", I would like to see the lenses in test, giving the best thing of them in the battlefield (outdoor pics).

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

My prefer is the 3,5 soligor, but the other soligor is very good too (something cold, taste quid).

Pentacon has nice colors and good sharpness at F/8. At this aperture almost all given a good pics in the test.

In this "200 battle", I would like to see the lenses in test, giving the best thing of them in the battlefield (outdoor pics).

What do you think?

Hi Rino

Will try and do an outdoor test once the summer arrives! I've sold the Photax Paragon now, but I could still test the others Smile I did a mini 135mm test indoors today as well with:

Soligor 135/3.5
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135/3.5
Pentacon Electric 135/2.8
Pentacon pre-set 135/2.8
Auto Chinon 135/2.8
Helios 135/2.8
Auto Carenar 135/2.8

Will post the results next week hopefully Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
estudleon wrote:

What do you think?

Hi Rino

Will try and do an outdoor test once the summer arrives! I've sold the Photax Paragon now, but I could still test the others Smile I did a mini 135mm test indoors today as well with:

Soligor 135/3.5
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135/3.5
Pentacon Electric 135/2.8
Pentacon pre-set 135/2.8
Auto Chinon 135/2.8
Helios 135/2.8
Auto Carenar 135/2.8

Will post the results next week hopefully Smile

Yes, please. Very goods 135's.

Sure your new test will be very informative and usefull too.

Tegatds. Rino.