Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Devils Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Devils Club Reply with quote

Here is the Devils Club (Oplopanax horridum) in all its glory. Sometimes when I am hiking down steep slopes I inadvertently grasp the spiny bark to slow myself down....not a good idea!

This is a close up of the outer layer starting to peel away, to be replaced by new spines. The leaves of the Devils Club are similar in form to Maple leaves, but can be a meter or more across.

SD-14 and Foveon have given me a very acceptable image right out of the gate, with no real "processing" needed.

You can see the little webs in between some of the spines.

Sigma Sd-14
Tokina SD 28-70 Macro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch I can feel them from here

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremly sharp!! Nice looks like a film

tf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Ouch I can feel them from here

patrickh

They tend to sting for quite a while after grabbing them, Patrick. But, they deserve a place in the system as well. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
Extremly sharp!! Nice looks like a film

tf

Thanks, Tri. Yes, there is a definite "film like" look, which is one thing I like about this different (not necessarily BETTER) sensor. Every camera system has its drawbacks and good points, and the DP-14 is no exception to that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture Laurence. You have some great plants in your part of the world. I'd never heard of Oplopanax before. Looking it up I find that it's similiar to Tetrapanax. Tetrapanax grows in our Botanical Gardens but the leaves are nowhere nearly as large as those of the Oplopanax which you describe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with stinging nettles, but at least you could eat them!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Thanks for the picture Laurence. You have some great plants in your part of the world. I'd never heard of Oplopanax before. Looking it up I find that it's similiar to Tetrapanax. Tetrapanax grows in our Botanical Gardens but the leaves are nowhere nearly as large as those of the Oplopanax which you describe.

John, the "norm" for Oplopanax leaves is about 35 centimeters (about 14 inches) across. However, in this part of the world, many plants grow to gigantic proportions in comparison to their counterparts n other areas.

Needless to say, we get a lot of rain...although much of the "precipitation" is in the form of mists and fogs. The Quinault valley receives about 14 feet of rain each year. I guess that's right at about 4+ meters.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I grew up with stinging nettles, but at least you could eat them!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

And how, Patrick! I love the tea from stinging nettles. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the soup Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's sharp! (Ahhmm... picture and spikes.)