Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax FA* 300mm F/2.8 AF Telephoto Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Pentax FA* 300mm F/2.8 AF Telephoto Lens Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

Even though it's autofocus, I thought some of you would be interested in having a look.
Bidding is going through the roof already; it appears to be of a very limited production.

I found the description rather intriguing, and the outer finish is truly unique to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy seems to know his facts pretty well. He really spends time describing everything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one, can honestly say that even as a 450mm on my x1.5 K10D I was never that excited - I seem to have more joy with the MUCH cheaper 3.5 70-210 Adaptall 2 which apart from slightly poorer CA is much nicer contrast wise? Also the AF hunts like mad... I can actually focus more quickly with the Tammy!

I paid not a lot for mine as it was sold as a Canon lens and 'defective as the mount does not work'!! Hardly a surprise as it's a PK/A not an EF?

Doug.

PS at 2000 and not yet at reserve perhaps this is how I fund my next bout of LBA?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Got one, can honestly say that even as a 450mm on my x1.5 K10D I was never that excited - I seem to have more joy with the MUCH cheaper 3.5 70-210 Adaptall 2 which apart from slightly poorer CA is much nicer contrast wise? Also the AF hunts like mad... I can actually focus more quickly with the Tammy!

I paid not a lot for mine as it was sold as a Canon lens and 'defective as the mount does not work'!! Hardly a surprise as it's a PK/A not an EF?

Doug.

PS at 2000 and not yet at reserve perhaps this is how I fund my next bout of LBA?
First of all: Pictures, or it didn't happen! Very Happy

Really, how the hell did you score one of these as 'defective,' and what is the AF issue like?

The seller makes this lens out to be something like a hand-built, one-of-a-kind, never-before-offered piece of gear, so how did you happen to land something like this?

I'm only curious...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

It would appear that the seller had no idea what this was! I bought it as a Canon lens factoring in a fair amount for repair - then discovered that it was a Pentax lens (which explained the 'I think the mount is broken' comment. It was described as an AF Canon 300mm lens, even though Pentax is written in LARGE letters along the damned thing!

This was way back in the day when I anticipated using it on my Canon 1-N... as it turned out it ended up on a PZ-70... a PZ-1P and latterly a K10D.

The lens is very sharp, but I find it clumsy and somehow not as good as the 300mm Tammy I borrowed nor the el cheapo Tammy 70-210...

It is not a fast focus lens, and the x series tele converters only worked in manual focus mode! The only genuine Pentax brand AF teleconverter is a small fortune by itself...

I will try and find some pics taken with it and post a couple.

Doug.

SkedAddled wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:

Doug.

First of all: Pictures, or it didn't happen! Very Happy

Really, how the hell did you score one of these as 'defective,' and what is the AF issue like?

The seller makes this lens out to be something like a hand-built, one-of-a-kind, never-before-offered piece of gear, so how did you happen to land something like this?

I'm only curious...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one for sale on pentaxforums at the moment...about $3100US...