Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 60-300: How loose should it be?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 60-300: How loose should it be? Reply with quote

I received one of these lenses yesterday, and it appears to be cosmetically and optically near-mint in condition. I've read much about these lenses around here, which indicate they are excellent assemblies of glass & metal, so I was pleased to land one for under $50 US. Very Happy

I find that it's not especially large or heavy, but that it is very loose in the push-pull zoom action. In fact, the outer barrel easily drops of its own weight when I stand the lens on the mount end, and does so with nearly no resistance. The same in reverse, standing the lens on the outer end. But if I hold the mount end firmly against a flat surface of a few sheets of paper, there is much resistance felt in the push-pull action. Is this normal or expected? Rotation of the focus is nearly as loose, though I don't perceive that as any sort of problem.

I am awaiting arrival of an Adaptall mount end before I can attach it to my camera.

But herein lies my next concern: While the lens obviously uses the mount end for exchange/displacement of air during zoom action, would this increase the chances for my camera body to collect unwanted dust and other contaminants inside? Or, will the Adaptall mount end alleviate the pressure/vacuum condition within the camera body? Or am I simply being far too anal in how I'm assessing this lens?

Thoughts, advice, experiences, and perceptions are most welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon 100-400mm L IS which is an AF but push-pull zoom, is well known as a "dust sucker," so I suppose it's a common design issue with push-pulls.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP 60-300: How loose should it be? Reply with quote

...Or am I simply being far too anal in how I'm assessing this lens?

You said!

I have two copies of that lens, both feel "loose" but work as espected. No worries about.

GREAT lens: sharp, contrasty, with a very good color rendition...you'll see!

Enjoy.

Gaetano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP 60-300: How loose should it be? Reply with quote

gaman wrote:
...Or am I simply being far too anal in how I'm assessing this lens?

You said!

I have two copies of that lens, both feel "loose" but work as espected. No worries about.

GREAT lens: sharp, contrasty, with a very good color rendition...you'll see!

Enjoy.

Gaetano
I thank you, Gaetano. I'll wait for final judgment until I can mount it on my camera. Waiting on the Adaptall mount will be a long process! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got one too, I find mine is quite stiff conpared with my 19AH... so I really don't know. I'll check to see if I've anything stuck in mine!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to my previous post... in rather misty conditions I've tested the 60-300 and (as with many lenses) you 'nip' it back to about 280mm the sharpness improves dramatically. Optimum seems to be f/8/11.
As I think this lens lacks contrast at the long end, I've found that
pushing the 'clarity' slider in Photoshop works wonders (raw, of course) I've yet to test it in JPEG mode as I don't use JPEG's.
Please, no emails, I don't want to start a raw vs. JPEG war! It's just the way I work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanscape wrote:
I have just got one too, I find mine is quite stiff conpared with my 19AH... so I really don't know. I'll check to see if I've anything stuck in mine!
Please keep us updated! The concensus seems to be a loose action, so I am curious to know what's 'slowing' your copy down. Do you have a mount end on it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned one of these lenses years ago and always liked its performance. Recently, I ran across a deal on another one -- without mount, unfortunately -- and picked it up, since Iv'e been shooting more with mf film cameras these days. My copy is in minty condition and both the focusing and zoom actions are well damped. The zoom ring doesn't slip when the lens is placed with the front element up, but slips slowly when reversed.

I found this lens to be a great all-around lens for a wide variety of applications. I also found its 1:1.55 macro mode to be surprisingly good.

Anybody got a spare Nikon AI Adaptall-2 mount they'd want to part with? Cool

Best,

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, I've tried to cause the zoom to creep/slip with and without the Maxxum/Olympus/Minolta/Contax/Pentax mounts that I have and it won't budge.
It performs the same (staying put, horizontal/vertical).
When I buy this type of zoom I routinely do this: cut a strip of A4 copy paper into three (length-ways), pull the lens to it's full extension, insert the paper strip and then push in the zoom. Rotate the focus a few times, pull out the zoom and then the paper.
Some lenses deposited grease and some didn't, the ones that did, after doing the above a few times, were noticably more resistant.
The lubricant used in the 70's and 80's may have different or less advanced properties as that is what I've found in the past, doing the above excercise. It may that it 'melted' more readily when the lens was exposed to strong sunshine.
Anyway, enough of this prattle... see if it works, it did for me on many occasions and also for all the twist/turn functions as well.
PLEASE TAKE CARE WITH YOUR CHOICE OF PAPER... coated or rag type papers could leave something unwanted behind!
Please tell me if this helps at all.

Last edited by alanscape on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Alan. I'll give it a go soon.