Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My Tilt & Tilt/Shift Family
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: My Tilt & Tilt/Shift Family Reply with quote

These are my most cherished lenses Wink

From front to back:

Hartblei Super-Rotator 80mm f2.8 (EF)
Hartblei Super-Rotator 35mm f2.8 (PK)
Hartblei Tilt Adapter + Volna-3 80mm f2.8 (PK)
Hartblei Super-Rotator 65mm f3.5 (EF)
Hartblei Tilt Adapter + Mir-26B 45mm f3.5 (PK)

The Hartblei Trio

The Tilt Adapter Duo

And the Three Amigos shaking their booties Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fantasy collection! Gorgeous equipment and all in great shape.

I am partial, believe it or not, to the Volna...of course it's the only one I've used. It has served me well on a Pentax 645. I love the "underrated" Volna group!

Beautiful images, well done.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
A fantasy collection! Gorgeous equipment and all in great shape.

I am partial, believe it or not, to the Volna...of course it's the only one I've used. It has served me well on a Pentax 645. I love the "underrated" Volna group!

Beautiful images, well done.

Thank you! I'll admit, I have a warm spot in my heart for the Volna-3 as well; it was the first MF lens that I got to make this tilt lens, and my first 80/85mm lens period, and I was pleasantly surprised by its performance just straight up on my K20D. If one of these days I get an MF, I'll throw that on and see how it does Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord, but that's an amazing collection! Shocked

Am I to understand that tilt-shift mounts can be had, without lenses?
If so, where are they sold from, and how much do they cost?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get tilt&shift adapters, but you can get Tilt adapters (what I show above) and Shift adapters.

They're both made by (so they say) Hartblei, the same folks that brought us the original Super-Rotators. A few of the Ukranian connection on Ebay carry them, e.g., Grizzly Bear, go-and-shoot (Kiev Camera/Mike Furman), DVDTechnic, etc. If you're not the Ebay type a guy, you can also get them from Araxfoto.com

They're around $120 for the tilt adapter, 80-90 for the shift adapter.

You can only mount Pentacon Six mount lenses so you don't have a whole variety of them. Here's a list I've compiled for lenses up to 250mm (I wouldn't be going much above that anyway to tilt/shift Wink. I'd love to have anybody add to this list of P6 mount lenses:

Arsat 30mm F3.5
Mir-26B 45mm F3.5
Arsat 45mm F3.5
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 50mm F4
PCS Arsat 45mm F3.5 (discontinued? very hard to find)
PCS Arsat 55mm F4.5 (This should make the combo a tilt/shift lens)
PCS Arsat 65mm F3.5 (discontinued? very hard to find)
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 65mm F2.8 (rare)
Mir-3 65mm F3.5
Carl Zeiss Jena MC Biometar 80mm F2.8
Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 80mm F2.8
Volna-3 80mm F2.8
Arsat (Arsenal) 80mm F2.8
Vega 12B 90mm F2.8
Carl Zeiss Jena MC Biometar 120mm F2.8
MC Vega-28 120mm F2.8
Kaleinar 3 150mm F2.8
Carl Zeiss Jena MC Sonnar 180mm F2.8
Jupiter-36 250mm F3.5

Oh yeah, I think this is my 100th post, w00t!

Last edited by rawhead on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:46 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread in general Shocked Can I borrow the PK Super Rotator and "forget" to send it back? Laughing

I'm still thinking of getting a shift adapter and a P6 lens. Even 30mm seems a little long for a crop sensor, though Confused Might have to use it on film more often than not. But that's too specialized and too expensive at the moment...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan s wrote:
Great thread in general Shocked Can I borrow the PK Super Rotator and "forget" to send it back? Laughing

I'm still thinking of getting a shift adapter and a P6 lens. Even 30mm seems a little long for a crop sensor, though Confused Might have to use it on film more often than not. But that's too specialized and too expensive at the moment...

In all honesty, I think use for shift would be very limited. Remember, the Arsat 30mm is a fisheye, so even if you compensated for perspective, you're going to get barrel distortion, which defies the purpose Laughing

Especially when a lot of what you'd do with shift can be done in Photoshop, PTGui (warp/stitch), etc., I don't think it's worth it.

On the other hand, tilt photography can be fun all the way up to 120mm, so it's highly recommended. And with fun tilt photography, even the Arsat 30mm just adds to all the fun Wink

Just rememberd, I gotta add some Vega lenses to the list...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably in the minority (these days, where people have one lens then use PhotoShop to simulate effects) but I like to do things in-camera. All the artifacts and weird stuff we get with editing is something I really don't like.

As far as tilt...I'm not much one for the "mini" effects...I don't know, they just don't appeal to me Embarassed