Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[WTB] Looking for a great 50mm range lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: [WTB] Looking for a great 50mm range lens Reply with quote

So I'm quite new to MF stuff, I wanted to buy a canon 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 AF Lens but then I saw a Zeiss 50mm 1.4 on the internet and totally fell in love with this gorgeous metal lens Laughing

So now I'm looking for a lens around 50mm (has not to be the Zeiss, but would also be ok) with mainly great colors and clarity but sharpness is also important for me.

It should be around 100 $, Euros or whatever Rolling Eyes (could be less but also a bit more would be fine for me if it's a good lens)

So I hope you won't hang me for not beeing up to your knowlage yet and hopefully somebody has a goodie for me Wink

PS: Canon adapter would be great if you have one.

Thanks very much

Hope we'll have a great time together

cheers tom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to aboard! Nice to see you here! You can take almost ANY 50mm MF lenses all are produce great images even cheapest ones.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the welcome .......... especially on a crop I think? So yeah, I saw tons of pics from different 50mm lenses like Zeiss, Rollei,...... and they are all just AWESOME

So maybe somebody has a 50mm lens that fits my budged and needs, would be great, thanks

PS: quick question, how are those adapters with AF-Confirm, or is a simple split focusing screen better?

Thanks

cheers tom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
While I can't speak on the AF confirm adapters (I dont have any), I can speak on split screens. They can be helpful depending on the camera you use. I found it very helpful on the Canon Rebel XTI but I find that it's not as necessary on my Canon 40D (it has brighter screen- at least to my eyes)

Your eyesight will play a huge part in the decision process- I do not need glasses and I am just fine w/o the AF confirm.

As Attila stated, you will hard pressed to find a "bad" 50mm as the lens design is one of the simplest for a manufacturer to make.
A few suggestions: Pentax Tak 50mm 1.4 in M42 mount, any Zeiss- take your pic, Helios 44-2 (cheap), Industar 50-2 (cheap)

There are soooo many good/decent lenses to choose from and most will not break the bank. My advice is to buy several as each has it's own characteristics ( I have 7 of them)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best in this price range are S-M-C 50/1.4 Takumar and MC 50/1.8 Pancolar.

Even some cheaper ones can be very good: S-M-C 55/1.8, MC Penacon 50/1.8, Helios 77M or 77M-4 50/1.8. Tomioka designed 55/1.4 can be find cheap, if you are lucky.

There are very cheap lenses, which are good also: black Tessar 50/2.8, Helios 44-2 58/2, Industar 50 or 50-2 50/3.5 (not easy to use)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put a word in for Super-Tak 50/1,4

I also love my Pentacon 50/1,8 and Helios 44M-58/2.

But in terms of over all picture, I love Voigtländer Color Ultron 50/1,8 best. I'll soon receive the Carl Zeiss Ultron 50/1,8, so perhaps that will top the Color Ultron Wink

AF conf. adapter bought from Cam.plus works a-ok on my EOS Kiss F (K1000D, Rebel XS)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!
There are many nice fast 50's to choose from.
If I'm allowed a little shameless self promotion.

Look here: http://forum.mflenses.com/relocation-project-t14903.html

I have a suntanned super tak 1.4/50 for sale.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who has bought from Andy has nothing but good to say of him. I have recently acquired that lens and am very impressed with it, else I would take Andy's

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a Nikkor-S.C 50mm f/1.4 on sale currently

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do have a Nikkor-S.C 50mm f/1.4 on sale currently

That is a sweet lens as well.
It might be easier shipping also as Chris is in the EU.
Austria is one of the toughest Customs to ship through from the US.

@ Patrickh
Thanks for the vote of confidence Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Pentax S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50mm and a Super-Takumar 1.8/55mm (with some kind of coatings even though it isn't "s-m-c") and can't really say which I like the most. The 1.8/55 is really an amazing lens considering the price it usually goes for.