Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yesterday at the thrift store...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Yesterday at the thrift store... Reply with quote

...I found these. 35/2.8 Vivitar, 135/2.8 Vivitar, 55/1.4 Mamiya/Sekor. By the numbers, the 35 is from Kino Precision. The 135 wears 11907XXX. I'm guessing that it's an early Komine, but not sure. The 55 seems a typical Mamiya supplied lens. I'll include it with several other M42 50-55/1.4s in a future post. Some dust, some dings, some smudged glass on all and a non-working iris on the 135, but paid less than $11 US for the three.

Bill

Last edited by casualcollector on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good catch! I should do more hunting around thrift stores and such... I've gotten too used to Ebay, and its more-or-less set going-rates. I want to feel the thrill of those "bargain of a life time" moments Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like they almost belong together don't they ?

I suspect the 135 may be a fixed-mount version of the Tamron Adaptamatic 135. Its known that Tamron sold fixed mount versions of this line through merchants brands. I have seen them as Bushnells and Aetnas and others I don't recall.

If so it could date from before Vivitar adopted the famous serial number series, maybe 1968-1970.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead. I'm sure you have some good thrifts around beantown, prices may be better in the 'burbs. I've also convinced a few New England camera shops to take a lot less than the asking as I'd make a mental inventory every few months and tell them how long a specimen had been collecting dust on the shelf!

Yes Luis, they do look like they belong together! Your theory of origin on the 135 carries a good bit of credibility. Every Tamron tele of that era that I've seen (all three or four!) have a simple helical for focusing, revolving front elements. This lens has a compound helical. All elements move forward without revolving. That makes me think it's not Tamron.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find!
Last week I found a Vivitar 35/2.8 in a charity shop for £2. A T4 version by Tokina which seems pretty decent. Although I only have a TX mount so can't stop down.
Good fun, both hunting and using.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
....Every Tamron tele of that era that I've seen (all three or four!) have a simple helical for focusing, revolving front elements. This lens has a compound helical. Bill

Hi Bill.

Nice goup!!

Tamron revolving front elements changed the focal lengh?

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Tamron revolving front elements changed the focal lengh? Rino.

I don't know Rino. My understanding is that focal length is measured from an optical "nodal point" to the film plane with the lens focused at infinity. I assume, as you focus the lens closer, you are moving the nodal point away from the film plane and making the focal length longer. That would mean you are changing the focal length of any prime lens as you focus it closer. That should apply equally to the Tamrons teles that focus with just their front group and other lenses that move all the elements to focus.

Hopefully someone who knows more than I will explain!

I've had trouble on this post with the Picasa hosted images not showing in the posting. I can't figure out why, so I've moved the image to Photobucket. Hopefully all can see it now.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
rawhead. I'm sure you have some good thrifts around beantown, prices may be better in the 'burbs. I've also convinced a few New England camera shops to take a lot less than the asking as I'd make a mental inventory every few months and tell them how long a specimen had been collecting dust on the shelf!

Bill, good tactic! Wink I'll remember that one. Thanks for the advice Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Bill, my Adaptamatic 135 does have a rotating front element also. Whatever that thing is, its not a version of an Adaptamatic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis.

I think you posted an image of the early fixed mount Tamron 135/2.8, now I can't find it! I was going to look at it for similarities. I don't think they're that close, just wanted to take a look. Do you remember where it is?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

This one ?

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-model-680-ar-fixed-mount-135-2-8-t8855,highlight,tamron+135.html

I don't think its close either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill.

Way to go!! Wish we had that kind of activity here in the thrift stores. We even have an unclaimed baggage store in Scottsborough Al, that the airlines dump their unclaimed items in...no good lens or cameras there and the ones they have they want nearly new prices for...Oh well glad someone is having good luck though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to hit thrift stores a lot. My best deals in the photography dept. was a Contax Rangefinder, with 3 lenses, case, filters, external turret viewfinder and another Leica viewfinder, and two vintage light meters for a whopping $75. They were asking $125 plus tax, but I told them I only had $75, so after consulting in the back room they let me have it for $75.

I also obtained a Rollei 35S in 9+ condition for $3.95 and a Gossen Luna Pro for $5.

Most of my really good finds involved old audio gear. My most surprising deal was an old Sony Beta video recorder with a broken door and no remote for $14.95. I put it on eBay and was shocked to sell it for almost $1600.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGAD, all these stories.

You've all got me Goodlemapping for all my nearby thrift stores Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith G wrote:
Xpres wrote:
Last week I found a Vivitar 35/2.8 in a charity shop for £2.

???

I have never seen a lens in any (UK) charity shop I've been in - and I used to use them a lot for vinyl (LPs) until the prices got silly! The only photo item I saw that was not a plastic toy was a Yashica Minister for 4 quid which I bought and gave to a friend who collects old film cameras.

I regularly see some, and cameras, as I look once a week for books for my children. Not many for sure, but it's a treat when I do find them. Best was an SX70 I found in Dunmow and a couple of Konica AR lenses in Stortford. They are there!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mamiya 1.4/55 alone is worth three times as much!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the same store the day after as there was a lens I thought would interest Luis. I spoke to a different manager and couldn't get him to budge on the price. It's a matter of walking in at the right time with money in your wallet. Someday, I'll tell the story of the one dollar Leicaflex!

Speculative buying is a risk I won't take at this point. Lost my job two weeks ago. I could certainly make some money on the three I bought, but buying the others in the case at the marked price wouldn't pay off on e-bay, IMO.

The others are 85-205/3.8 Super Albinar (Kino) and 135/2.8 Hanimar Auto "S" (early Cosina?) in M42. Rokkor 50/2, 135/2.8 Kamero (Cima), 135/2.8 Focal(Makina), Osawa 35-100 zoom in Minolta MC. Hexanon 58/1.7 for Konica Autoreflex. Priced from five to 15 dollars, they would be lucky to draw those bids when you consider their condition and it's tough to ship for less than $10 addl.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good "combo". This zoom is a "cult" lens in my country: you never will

find any Kiron lens here. Mad

Enjoy. Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Pentacon 30/3.5 pre-set for £1 at a car boot sale last week Surprised And I saw a Tamron 103A with case and Minolta MD adapter in a charity shop the other week for £10, but it had fungus and I'm bored of fungus lenses Laughing Hoping to pick up some more cheapos this weekend Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fungus is a potential problem with thrift shop lenses.
Once I saw a nice macro lens (Pentax) in one of these shops - full of filaments, unfortunately. And the owner still wanted to have €100,- !!! Shocked
Laughing loudly, I left the shop...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kind of a "routine" when it comes to thrift stores.

Camera equipment:
-Goodwill puts all the good stuff online. Good luck bidding against the people who buy them for cheap then put them on ebay.
-St. Vincent de Paul has good stuff here n there, but only the one location. That's where I got my $5 Leica and (stupidly) passed on a Spottie with S-M-C 50/1.4 for $30.
-Bethesda/Salvation Army/others really don't have anything. I rarely go into those stores.
-Pawn shops...don't even bother. The one next to St. Vinny's wanted $250 for a Fuji ST605 and similar ridiculous prices for their other cameras. Plus, everyone that worked there smoked, so I can only imagine the "film" all over and inside those cameras Rolling Eyes They did have decent prices on guitars, though. That's about it.

Vinyl:
-Goodwill rarely has good albums...once again...the good ones go online.
-St. Vinny's is picked clean. But they have a yearly sale which is very good.

And the list goes on. Some stores are better than other for certain things. The downtown St. Vinny's rocks for furniture and books. The east side Goodwill has more "upscale" furniture in better condition. West has veryyyy nice furniture and good selections.

This thread reminds me: I have to visit that St. Vinny's this week. I haven't been there in a couple months! What have I missed? Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just got back from said St. Vinny's...the whole place was cleared out except for the book section which is always brimming.

They had 3 SLRs...A Petri, Fuji 705ST with 55/1.8 non-EBC (already have an EBC version), and a very nice looking Yashica Electro X. The Fuji and Yashica were both $20 each. I was hoping for a passed-over Yashica T4 Super, but no luck.

Instead I came away with some books Smile

John Hedgecoe - Practical Landscape Photography
Particia Caulfeld - Capturing the Landscape with Your Camera

For $1.50 each, I couldn't argue. Plus a history of the Jimi Hendrix Experience written by Mitch Mitchell with tons of awesome photos, and another Tom Clancy hardcover to replace my softcovers Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Electro X is kinda cool. The only M42 mount camera I can think of that has a Copal Square shutter and seperate mirror lockup. I got mine, dirt cheap and working, from a pawn shop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to admit...the Electro X was a fine looking camera for $20. In the end...another film cam would just end up on the shelf. Someday, though, I want to try one Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to a local goodwill and not much. I guess all usable photo gears goes into their online auction. Mapped out the thrift shops in my area and will try some visits in the next few weeks. I mostly buy used ones from keh or ritz collectibles as I can still return unwanted items if price is more than the return shipment :~). Happy hunting to all.
cheers,
gil