Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro Reply with quote

Arrived today from KEH. They graded it BGN... $133 plus shipping, and looking very good. An eBay seller would have easily put this one up BIN @ $300.

The lens itself:

Some quick samples:

Example without 1:1 adapter:

I may take it out to the campus tomorrow to shoot one of the biology professors' arthropod collections (Live tarantulas).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific buy - one of the best macros you can get. I love this lens

patrickh

Last edited by patrickh on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pic and great lens!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is an excellent makro lense, built like a tank, with a well-deserved reputation. I only found that taking it out on a sunny day without a sun-shade is not such a good idea, as it is very prone to flare.
As I hardly do any makro-photography at all, I just recently came to the conclusion that it doesn't make sense for me to keep mine (as much as I hate to give a lense away I have), but don't want to sell it (money is simply too boring), but would consider an exchange against two of the Russian lenses like MIR 24 H, Helios-81H or a Kiev lense that I can use without an adapter with my Nikon D200/D 700.
The Vivitar I have comes with Nikon F-mount, is in excellent condition in it's original case, which looks like leather, but is made of cardboard and is pretty battered. I got it without any lense caps, and substituted Nikon caps to protect the lense.

Thomas

P.S. As postage to the USA is prohibitive, I would prefer an exchange with someone in Germany/Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, that is a nice looking lens and the price is super good. As you said, you can never get it that cheap on the 'bay. It's a Cult Lens among collectors and hence the price on 'bay. I don't shot much macro (too cold outside now). After a couple of years buying MF, my collection grows to a point that I have all the Vivitar dedicated macro, 90/2.8 Komine, 90/2.5 Tokina, 90-180 Flat Field and recently the Lester Dine 105.

I have put up the Komine on the bay since the others are just too good to justify keeping it. The good part about the Komine made is it can go all the way 1:1 lifesize without any adapter.

Hopefully by spring, I can do more test and keep only one. But I am pretty sure it will be hard as the bokeh on the Tokina is simply superb, it slowly melts away from the point of focus. I am never tired at looking at the above pic. It's sometime refers to as Bokina.

The Tokina labeled is even more rarely found on sale and tend to fetch more money. I have not seen much better images from Zeiss or others to justify investing more than the Vivitars.

Enjoy yours!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Nice one!! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
I have all the Vivitar dedicated macro, 90/2.8 Komine, 90/2.5 Tokina, 90-180 Flat Field and recently the Lester Dine 105.

Bawang : i always was fascinated by the kino/vivitar s1 90-180.. Have you pics to compare quality

Is it as good as the ad promised ? (the "modern tests" said very good but not as good as advertised)

ps : kiron (=lester dine) 105 is TOP quality (my profile picture is made with it)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 90-180 flat field for a little while , it a nice heavy zoom lens. Quality is far from a macro prime.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/top_lenses/macro/

You can found here many of them, include flat field.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
i always was fascinated by the kino/vivitar s1 90-180.. Have you pics to compare quality

That was the reason why I bought it. And I don't have any macro picture yet to compare and to make matter worse, I broke my Nikon F to Canon adapter right before the Dine arrived. Hopefully before Spring I can have an adapter to make comparison.

Also unfortunately there are 2 small spots of fungus growing on the underside of second element. I managed to open the first element but the second was impossible to open with a homemade lens spanner a.k.a compass Smile

The seller did not disclose the information and it was a non-local Craigslist deal, I don't have any recourse. Moral of the story, stick to KEH whenever possible.

I think someone at the Pentax Forum posted a very convincing picture. I dont have the URL, you might want to google it.

Cheers.

KBZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
Mike, that is a nice looking lens and the price is super good. As you said, you can never get it that cheap on the 'bay. It's a Cult Lens among collectors and hence the price on 'bay. I don't shot much macro (too cold outside now). After a couple of years buying MF, my collection grows to a point that I have all the Vivitar dedicated macro, 90/2.8 Komine, 90/2.5 Tokina, 90-180 Flat Field and recently the Lester Dine 105.

I'm still curious about the 105 since it's a Kiron. The 70-210/3.5 is an impressive lens, and equally built like a tank.

I actually ordered a second 70-210/3.5 in the same shipment as the 90. I noticed it in the AS-IS section for $6 because of a stiff zoom mechanism. I figure I'll keep it for spares or try and fix it if anyone has any ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dine/Kiron can go 1:1 without the need of an adapter. And it can be a littler farther from the object with the slightly longer FL.

Anyone Stateside has a spare Nikon F to Canon adapter? I am eager to give it a test too.

Yeah the 70-210 was my dream lens when I started photography in the 80s. But couldn't afford it then.

Now I have the Viv S1 28-90 Kiron which is a marvelous lens. Our member here, Andy of f16sunshine recommends it and I would not disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:

I'm still curious about the 105 since it's a Kiron. The 70-210/3.5 is an impressive lens, and equally built like a tank..

The 105 is built like a tank too (very heavy) but still convenient

The 105 fl allows to take pictures without beeing too close from subject (a 50mm is far less practical - too close )

Pls find images taken with the 105 kiron :

Last edited by PBFACTS on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples! Shows really power of Kiron !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Vivitar 2.5/90 some early version of the Tokina AT-X M90 2.5/90 ?

since last week, i can use this one on my Oly E-330

In my Contax/Yashica-days it was my most used lens, and now it's alive again

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toeteraar wrote:
Is that Vivitar 2.5/90 some early version of the Tokina AT-X M90 2.5/90 ?

ABSOLUTELY : As far is my knowledge : it is optically basically the same lens with a different coating (but the mecanical part is different)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!Fantastic pictures!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the shots of the Tarantulas from the other day. I believe all of these were @ f5.6.

Warning for the squeamish/arachnophobic: Big spiders ahead.

I know I'm going to love this lens when the bugs return with the warmer weather.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots of the Tarantula...Here's an Eastern Boxelder bug that I took with my Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 macro (same as the Viv Series One 105 & the Kiron 105 macro's)....It's a little less than an inch long & it's on a dead leaf...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was little and living in Albany, the Boxelders descended in swarms one year and were all over the house. I've always loved bugs so I had a field day.

Here in Florida we have a similar experience twice a year with those "love bugs"... Only they're a lot less interesting and a lot more annoying.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its looks in really good condition and those Vivitar 90mm macro's always had a good reputation,however I do wish I still had my Tamron 90mm Aadaptall 2 that was a gem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing shots!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
I took with my Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 macro
Could you please explain which is the reason of your posting? Is there a relation between Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro and the 105?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
Screamin Scott wrote:
I took with my Lester A Dine 105mm F2.8 macro
Could you please explain which is the reason of your posting? Is there a relation between Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro and the 105?

If you have been following the thread, it ( or related lenses) were mentioned by Mike, bawang & PBfacts on the first page of this thread & this lens is related to the Vivitar Series One 105 made by Kino (aka Kiron) mentioned previously in comparison...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Kiron 105mm f2.8 version and the Vivitar 90mm f2.5. Both performed well but I like better the bokeh from the Vivitar though I had limited shots only and none posted yet in my online site.
cheers,
gil

From the Kiron 105mm f2.8

No PP