Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MF is better than AF! Canon EF 1.8/85 vs Nikkor 1.8/85 @1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: MF is better than AF! Canon EF 1.8/85 vs Nikkor 1.8/85 @1.8 Reply with quote

Below 100% crops speak for themselves but seeing AFC assist chip (non programmed, default, tago-tech product) helpless really suprised me, I just shot when AFC red light blinked and the result is just crap.

Canon's AF is not accurate for the sample that I got, MF result is way better but when we use MF, 50Euro priced my Nikkor competes very well against this modern AF lens having a 325Euro price tag...

I guess AF system of my 5D is not that precise at wide apertures Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

- you have tested one of the best MF lenses you can buy (Nikkor 1.8/85)
- you got this lens for a bargain price (really €50,-??)
- I have made the same experiences with my chipped adapters, at f1.8 they are not reliable. That's why I have decided to put a splitscreen into my 350D. After the final adjustments it works like a charm!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take "this" shot using the "live view" Canon, youll be Razor sharp in one second... no adjustments.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Take "this" shot using the "live view" Canon, youll be Razor sharp in one second... no adjustments.

LOL ... yalcinaydin has a 5D ... NO live view.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

This is an AF lens and it's primary usage is its and body's AF system, if they are worse than then my right myopia (2.75) and astigmatism(1.75) having eye+eye glasses+2X angle finder then why should I spend 275Euros more? This can be a bad copy but who gives a *, Canon took the cash as it is QC passed glass...

Carsten yes, with today's exchange rate it's exactly 48Euros but my copy is physically in bad shape, has some dots on the glasses but image quality is still there. I've a selling ad on the forum for 65Euros inc shipping and paypal but nobody got interested maybe I shouldn't sell, I don't know Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF can have issues with different lenses.

I used "debug mode" on my K10D to correct the AF but it only has adjustments for 1 lens (unlike the K20D, Canon 5D Mk2, Canon 50D which have multiple settings). So my 16-45 needs +80 to +120um but my 100mm macro needs -40um Embarassed

So it's not really "AF is crap" but those lenses are adjusted against a particular body at the factory, if your body has slightly misaligned AF sensors or whatever, lenses will front- or back-focus on your body.

So the solution is (1) use MF; (2) have a Live View body; or (3) have a body with per-lens back/front focus correction. It's not inherently an "AF sucks and MF rocks" kind of situation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Canon 1ds MkIII you can adjust AF for every lens you use because they're aware of these kind of problems.

I'm a great user of MF lenses, and also my AF Nikkors is 90% of the times are used in manual mode. But I'm mainly a still life shooter.

AF has its uses though, just try to catch fast action with a MF lens.

Problem is that real good AF is made for expensive pro-camera, the ones that pro sport or news shooters use.

So it's like the dispute between film and digital, they're just instruments and there's no absolute.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Yashica 50/1.7 took a + 16 adjustment for the adapter to be spot on with the micro-adjustment on my 5DMII. I don't remember what the adjustment was with the flek 35/2.4 adapter but as I remember it was a lot closer. Maybe I got it backwards but one adapter was not too far out and one was quite a ways out on this camera. My EF 85/1.8 took -5. It all depends on how the camera and lense are calibrated. If the camera is within specs but to one end of the calibration and the lense is within spec but to the other end of the calibration they can be way off. The same with the focus confirm adapters. Unfortunately I think all the manufacturers tolerances for cameras and lenses are quite loose. If a camera has live view M/F can be razor sharp. Some with better eyes than I, can get it in the viewfinder.

Last edited by Schnauzer on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll reprogram the chip for focus adjustment I'll inform you with the results, I guess it will be much more usefull.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
I'll reprogram the chip for focus adjustment I'll inform you with the results, I guess it will be much more usefull.

OK, here I'm again with the reprogrammed AFC chipped Nikkor Smile Reprogramming is a bit like try and test sequence. Mine had front focussing issues so I reprogrammed it as making the default 09 value to 17, still not bullseye so tried also 16 but 17 was better and as it is the max value I've finished the process there.

If you do pixel-peeping, for me the qualification is like this:
1) Canon and Nikkor together when used MF
2) Nikkor when used with a focusing point adjusted AFC chip
3) Canon when used with AF (yeah sad but this is a sample lens I haven't done anything to it:))

100% center crop that hits the center AF point:

I'm also uploading full sized shots for the interested ones, check out the flickr set Wink
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yalcinaydin/sets/72157612963728986/