Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which helios 44-2 is better; and pancolar?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Which helios 44-2 is better; and pancolar? Reply with quote

1- I want to buy this lens. Which version is the best

Helios 44-2 (38/20), 8 blades, pre-set M42

KMZ ?
JOV ?
MMZ ?

2- How good is the MC 44 M 7 compared with the pancolar 50/1,8?

I haven't experience in russian lenses (I fall in love with J-9).

Thanks to whom can help me. Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

44M-7 has a protruding rear mechanical element, which prevents to use it on many SLR cameras. 44M-6 is OK.

44-2 - I'd choose last MMZ version, but it's pretty rare. Choose the version, which barrel design do you like (zebra / matte / glossy). Quality depend on copy (but not as much as for later version).

Anyway, 44-3 is pre-set too and good copy can be a bit sharper than 44-2, while quality is more constant than on later (auto) versions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, No-X. Very much.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about helios 44-M??

Better than 44-2?

Is 44-M pre 44-M4?

This has the JOV logo.

Rino.

Last edited by estudleon on Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "M" lenses are more variable than 44-2 or 44-3. Theoretically the resolution should be better, but find a really good copy isn't easy (so much copies are worse than 44-2/44-3).

44M and 44M-4 should be identical optically, I think 44M was a bit more expensive. The difference is in number of blades and A/M switch (44M). But later versions of 44M-4 can be multi-coated.

44-3 is multi-coated too, has 8 iris blades and it's quality is more constant. If you want something better, try 44M-6, which is significantly better, so it can be worth the risk.

My advice: 44-2 (cheap, pre-set, 8 blades), 44-3 (MC, pre-set, 8 blades), 44M-6 (MC, auto, 6 blades), 77M / 77M-4 (MC, auto, 6 blades, fast).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
The "M" lenses are more variable than 44-2 or 44-3. Theoretically the resolution should be better, but find a really good copy isn't easy (so much copies are worse than 44-2/44-3).

44M and 44M-4 should be identical optically, I think 44M was a bit more expensive. The difference is in number of blades and A/M switch (44M). But later versions of 44M-4 can be multi-coated.

44-3 is multi-coated too, has 8 iris blades and it's quality is more constant. If you want something better, try 44M-6, which is significantly better, so it can be worth the risk.

My advice: 44-2 (cheap, pre-set, 8 blades), 44-3 (MC, pre-set, 8 blades), 44M-6 (MC, auto, 6 blades), 77M / 77M-4 (MC, auto, 6 blades, fast).

In this theme, you are my "advisor". Thank you, very much.

I will do this:

For sharp lens, I will use my pancolar 50/1,8 (not to 44M4 to M6/7)

I will look for 44-2/3 to obtain the own character of the lens (as my J-9

that I love for determinates subjects).

Again, thanks. Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info, I have an avsolutely superb 44M-4, which I modded to keep the aperture pin depressed. The lens is astonishing!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know I am 'nationalist' Smile my maximum respect for Russian lenses , but my heart is German so PANCOLAR Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Just for info, I have an avsolutely superb 44M-4, which I modded to keep the aperture pin depressed. The lens is astonishing!

Thanks Shrek.

But I see that you have a Pentacon (very good lens too).

Pentacon vs. Helios 44 M-4 ?

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
As you know I am 'nationalist' Smile my maximum respect for Russian lenses , but my heart is German so PANCOLAR Wink

Remember that I'm LEICA M man. Cool

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Wink I wish to able to own some ones and see why you like so much . You have easier case with my CZJ loving.. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I know Wink I wish to able to own some ones and see why you like so much . You have easier case with my CZJ loving.. Laughing

I like CZJ a lot, I have 20/4, 50/1,8 (2); 135/3,5

If you want to buy - someday - Leica M, see:

21/3,4 (schneider for leica)

35/2 aspheric

50/1,4 (old design chrome 1966 - soft touch between all the sharpness)

75/1,4 o 90/2 asph (if you like one or the other focal lengh).

M3 ds or M4 film cams (digital M8 is very expensive)

Rino. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Shrek wrote:

Thanks Shrek.

Rino.

Hi Rino

I did a 50mm lens test on Friday which I haven't posted up yet (need to crop all the photos etc.). I tested 11 lenses, and three of which are the Pentacon 50/1.8, Helios 44M and the Helios 44M-4. Here's a sneak preview at f4:

Helios 44M full

Helios 44M-4 full

Pentacon 50/1.8

Helios 44M crop

Helios 44M-4 crop

Pentacon 50/1.8 crop

All pictures were taken in artificial light, which confuses the hell out of my camera, hence the yellow tint! I've only just received the Pentacon, but I absolutely love it! Totally underrated lens in my opinion. Saying that, I still use the 44M-4 for all my close up work! All lenses are very similar though, although the Helios lenses have that crazy bokeh!

Will get the rest of the 50s sorted later this week, been kept busy with the Mayfair Sankor Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Pentacon is underrated. It has very good bokeh and is sharp, too. It looses more contrast than sharpness when wide opened.

I think this lens has only 2 weak points: Strange flares in side-light (center of the image is than uncontrasty) if you don't use a hood. And there can be worse copies - fortunately not entire lemons and not too frequently (unlike 29/2.8 ).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
estudleon wrote:
Shrek wrote:

Thanks Shrek.

Rino.

Hi Rino

I did a 50mm lens test on Friday which I haven't posted up yet (need to crop all the photos etc.). I tested 11 lenses, and three of which are the Pentacon 50/1.8, Helios 44M and the Helios 44M-4. Here's a sneak preview at f4:

Helios 44M full

Helios 44M-4 full

Pentacon 50/1.8

Helios 44M crop

Helios 44M-4 crop

Pentacon 50/1.8 crop

All pictures were taken in artificial light, which confuses the hell out of my camera, hence the yellow tint! I've only just received the Pentacon, but I absolutely love it! Totally underrated lens in my opinion. Saying that, I still use the 44M-4 for all my close up work! All lenses are very similar though, although the Helios lenses have that crazy bokeh!

Will get the rest of the 50s sorted later this week, been kept busy with the Mayfair Sankor Laughing

HI!!

Thanks, Shrek, one more time

Great job!!

The three are very closely to me.

Subtles differences:

1- Pentacon something colder than the helios.

2- The 44M has anything special to me, seems to be more cream colors than ther 44 M-4

5- The view of the 50 mm (pentacon) is wider than the helios 58 mm.

I don't find any more.

I'm waiting your next work. Sure will be great too.

Rino.