Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wollensak Apochromatic Raptar 21.25inch and Pentacon 2x TC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Wollensak Apochromatic Raptar 21.25inch and Pentacon 2x TC Reply with quote

After my disappointing results from my first attempt at birding with my Hoya/Tokina 400mm I decided to get out the heavy artillery.

The FL of the Raptar with 2x TC is 1082mm, the Raptar is f10 and I shot it wide open, with the TC on the back cutting down the light transmittance I had to bump the ISO to 800 on my NEX-3 to get a reasonable shutter speed of 1/250. I still had some issues with camera shake, I need to do some work on the setup to remove the wobble I think.

Results are okay, I don't think the TC ruined the sharpness too much, but next time I will shoot the Raptar without the TC as I have had sharper results from it before without a TC.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sat May 26, 2012 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good'ns there, Ian, but what caused the strange colour on No. 7?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty darn good results there given the equipment.

Really long tele is difficult.

600mm is too much for me, and you managed 1000mm+
And I have IS.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about #7, I'm guessing it's just atmospheric conditions. PP was just auto contrast in Photoshop then sharpening.

Cheers Luis, these are just the decent ones from a large number of shots. I reckon if I fix the wobbly T-mount fitting and sort out the askew M42-NEX adapter (it needs the set screws loosening and a tweak of about 15 degrees) I can get better results, as it is, this is a bit of a wobbly setup.

This telephoto shooting really isn't my thing, but I like trying different things from time to time.

Here's an old picture of the contraption, with my old tripod, I've got a much sturdier Velbon now:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Pretty darn good results there given the equipment.

Really long tele is difficult.

600mm is too much for me, and you managed 1000mm+
And I have IS.

+1