Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 300mm f/5.6 Adaptall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Tamron 300mm f/5.6 Adaptall Reply with quote

I was watching this lens on eBay, and was thinking about bidding on it, until it went over my budget. Way over.

Click here to see on Ebay

A lot of bidding activity. I guess this remains a somewhat highly sought-after optic, eh?

There's also this one that has aroused my curiosity:

Click here to see on Ebay
The seller claims it is not an Adaptall mount, but a fixed one. I don't recall any fixed-mount Tamrons during this era. Can anyone shed some light on this?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you fixed the link. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed, put only ebay item id into brackets next time.

#1 lens common price around 200 USD or more and a very good lens.

#2 much less good.

Samples with first one.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/tamron_sp_300/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit - Looks like Adaptall not later Adaptall-2 SP for the Nikon mount lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see those eBay listings but deep in my memory I think Tamron did do some fixed mount lenses at the time they were making the Adaptamatics - I vaguely recall having them in the shop where I was working. I guess they were cheaper, which would maybe have been attractive to customers if the optics were the same, although not the dealers!

The chief reason companies like Tamron made interchangeable-mount lenses was to persuade retailers to stock as wide a range as possible by reducing inventory costs. The introduction of an alternative fixed-mount range selling in parallel with the Adaptamatics would hardly have been welcomed by the trade, so I can quite believe the life of such a line would have been short.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course this one is even more expensive.... Click here to see on Ebay

I had this on watch but waaaaaaaay of of my range.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Not so much
They usually are sold about 600euros

http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/73406208.htm?ca=12_s

http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/68731865.htm?ca=12_s

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron had several lines of fixed mount lenses at different times. They were usually versions of the adaptable mounts - T/T2, Adaptamatic, Adaptall.

This second one possibly is one of the Tamron-F's, one of the fixed mount series from the 1970's.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm 300mm f2.8 a different league. 700 USD is a good price.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Ah yes. *sigh* I used to own one of these beauties. Sold it to raise the cash to buy a Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 ED. That Nikkor zoom is one of the most spectacular lenses I've ever owned, but I still kinda wish I would have kept the Tamron 300/2.8. Some of my very best photos were taken with that lens.

I've seen them go for under $500 on rare occasions on US eBay. This can happen if two or three are listed at the same time. Usually by the time the last one's auction is up, buyer interest is exhausted, and it can go for cheap.

Oh, and thanks for fixing the links, Attila. Now I know how I'm supposed to use the ebay button, at least.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Ah yes. *sigh* I used to own one of these beauties. .... Some of my very best photos were taken with that lens.

Can you post some of them, in High Res please
I am very interrested

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Ah yes. *sigh* I used to own one of these beauties. .... Some of my very best photos were taken with that lens.

Can you post some of them, in High Res please
I am very interrested

The ones I have closest to hand are several I have over at my Flickr site. All were taken at an air show back in about 1990. Scans of Fujichrome 100 slides, reduced to a nominal size of 900x600.

Grumman TBF Avenger

Curtis P-40 Warkawk

Lockheed P-38 Lightning

North American P-51 Mustang

If you would like to see more, you can view my Flickr Warbirds page here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11308754@N08/sets/72157616480534519/

All of the photos where the airplanes are flying from left to right were taken with a Tamron 300mm f/2.8 LD.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won one a while back (first lens here, Tamron SP 300/5.6) for about £50.00. I was very disappointed with it. It was OK but no sharper than the original Tamron Adaptall 300/5.6. In fact I have a Soligor 300/5.5 which is far better. Weird!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
I won one a while back (first lens here, Tamron SP 300/5.6) for about £50.00. I was very disappointed with it. It was OK but no sharper than the original Tamron Adaptall 300/5.6. In fact I have a Soligor 300/5.5 which is far better. Weird!

Bad copy perhaps?

I've only ever been impressed with the sharpness of that lens, but I've never owned to see it 1st hand.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was following the model 54B Tamron 300/5.6 as well mainly because it was a unique lens in it's day with a spherical aberration compensator group.But unfortunately won the bidding on a few pre-sets,including the Soligor's 350mm and a 450mm as well as a Vivitar 500mm and a Soligor 400mm with a drop in filter tray,plus a few more lenses....so figured I'd pass on the Tamron until I become diligent in completing a collection of the SP line...also followed five other reputable lenses she had listed including three macro lenses.I must say though,that was quite the collection she stumbled upon.

Being somewhat anal...I'll review lenses I'm not totally familiar with and I've reviewed most of the SP line fairly diligently this past summer....the odd thing about the reviews about the 54B is such a eclectic mix of opinions...with a some including Attila saying this lens is one of they're favorites to those who thought the lens didn't live up to their expectations...perhaps this is one of those lenses that takes buying three-five copies to get a decent one...or perhaps the photographers who rated the lens poorly weren't experienced in macro work or were expecting better results using the lens as a telephoto...hard to say...but I do know that after a few holes are filled in some of my collections,I'll be pursuing the reputable and well reviewed lens of the SP line....but at the prices for reputable SP's,I'll wait till after Christmas and the New Year when the deals are best to be found.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 to superb on Nikon D50, I did test later other copy on Olympus E-1 it was weak. I can't decide this was copy variant issue or small sensor works fine only with best lenses. I found Olympus E-1 was weaker performer with many other Tamron lenses too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that the 54B will be on the list that I will be looking for after the New Year,when I pursue the better performing Sp's, primarily because of it's unique lens design from the era...if it takes acquiring more then one to get a good copy...so be it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I found Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 to superb on Nikon D50, I did test later other copy on Olympus E-1 it was weak. I can't decide this was copy variant issue or small sensor works fine only with best lenses. I found Olympus E-1 was weaker performer with many other Tamron lenses too.

I assume then you didn't try it on your other DSLR's or SLR bodies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:

I also was a litlle disapointed with mine.
It is sharp, but not as much as expected. I use a EOS rebel xt/350D

It alsa has lot of CAs.

For more descent picture > f6.3

http://323i.e30.free.fr/galerie/MF/Tamron300SP/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I've seen them go for under $500 on rare occasions on US eBay. This can happen if two or three are listed at the same time. Usually by the time the last one's auction is up, buyer interest is exhausted, and it can go for cheap.

Keep an eye on KEH in the US as well. That's where I nabbed my 60B for $450 in bargain condition (It has a little paint loss but is optically pristine).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Tamron sp Adaptall 300mm. f5.6 Reply with quote

I love the Tamron sp 300mm f5.6 adaptall. It fits well on my Pentax ist* DS. The sundial photo was taken across the village square and on a tripod but at full aperture. No quibbles about sharpness there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron sp Adaptall 300mm. f5.6 Reply with quote

copernicus wrote:
I love the Tamron sp 300mm f5.6 adaptall. It fits well on my Pentax ist* DS. The sundial photo was taken across the village square and on a tripod but at full aperture. No quibbles about sharpness there.

There you go, photos are not shown at first as an anti spam measure Smile That's really sharp!!