Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Impulse Buy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Impulse Buy Reply with quote

I need to stay off ebay during my lunch breaks. Evil or Very Mad

I just bought a CZ Tessar and (I think) a 200mm Chinon. They cost 11.70GBP +6p&p along with the Praktica they were sold with.

Probably not stellar lenses, but maybe interesting toys that I can use and resale if I don't like.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be surprised at them both. I had a Tessar on my Praktica many years ago, and it was a superb lens. I rue the day I got rid of it. The Chinon will probably also be good. Fixed focal length lenses are easy (relatively) to make well, and the know-how has been around so many years that even budget lenses were good. I have a Hanimar 200mm that at f8 and smaller is as sharp as a razor.

But yes, stay off ebay at lunchtime, that's when I go on and I don't want you buying stuff I want Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Well, I need to offload soon (1st will probably be the Praktica that it came with) or the wife will not be pleased so watch this space Very Happy

Oh and there may be a cheap Biotar going on the bay, but it's hidden under another listing. Please buy it or I will. Laughing

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Oh and there may be a cheap Biotar going on the bay, but it's hidden under another listing. Please buy it or I will. Laughing

Point me at it! Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also bought something today, I did not expect to get it, but suddenly it was mine: a nice old Beltica Foldercamera (135 format!) for only €10,- .

Well, not a high risk there. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic buy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I have also bought something today, I did not expect to get it, but suddenly it was mine: a nice old Beltica Foldercamera (135 format!) for only €10,- .

PICS!!!!! Laughing

Anyway, I've just tested the Auto Chinon. It looks like it sharpens up at F5.6 and better again at F8. No noticeable difference at between F3.5 & F4.

Anyway, it was a simple test with 40D camera on a tripod, 580exii flash on manual, shutter 1/250 iso 200 and focused on the word `EASY' using 5x mag live view. Take it for what it's worth.

Pics here if you're interested.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks perfectly respectable Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the ding in the hood which I've manage to almost get back as good as new and the name plate which has also suffered the impact, it's in great condition.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went mad last night and bought this:

http://www.kuvaboxi.fi/julkinen/2bjhz+larsbepi-nettar-516-2-with-tessar-and-boxlike-new.html (there are pop-up boxes that you can then click to see really big photos)

It was quite a bit more than an average e-bay nettar (in the certo6 sort of price range) but the condition appears to be superb, it is almost undoubtedly a rare model (it's one that tends to be missed from the lists and details available on the internet) and the Tessar lens is top-of-the-line for that era and should be on a par with the color-skopar everyone is obsessed about.

I'm hoping that it is still perfectly adjusted, as it woud have been when it left the factory. The lens dates it at 1941/42.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

I take it that this is just a collector's item rather than a working camera?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's meant to be working - I certainly hope so. I wouldn't use it much, obviously, but I would like to run some film through it occasionally.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

PICS!!!!! Laughing

Anyway, I've just tested the Auto Chinon. It looks like it sharpens up at F5.6 and better again at F8. No noticeable difference at between F3.5 & F4.

Anyway, it was a simple test with 40D camera on a tripod, 580exii flash on manual, shutter 1/250 iso 200 and focused on the word `EASY' using 5x mag live view. Take it for what it's worth.

Pics here if you're interested.

200MB/sec at full duplex eh? Weird way of putting it Laughing

Anyway, the lenses Laughing Both should be good lenses...I have an Auto Chinon 28mm which is very good and a 135mm which blew me away! I only bought it as it was cheap (lunchtimes cost me a fortune!) and I was very impressed. So impressed, I bought another one Laughing Just wanted to see which one was better, then the other one is going back on the fray!

BTW, the Tessars I have all work pretty well, especially on a crop sensor DSLR. Will do a roundup soon, as I have a zebra, newer black version and and 1961 "Aus Jena" version in the post...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
It's meant to be working - I certainly hope so. I wouldn't use it much, obviously, but I would like to run some film through it occasionally.

Sorry, I meant are you going to be using it or are you just collecting. But you've answered the question.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
PaulC wrote:

Sorry, I meant are you going to be using it or are you just collecting. But you've answered the question.

The main thing would be not to damage it after it has survived almost 70 years apparently unscathed. But, of course, it is good for them to have their shutter activated at regular intervals Very Happy