Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 300mm f/5,6 (m42)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Tamron 300mm f/5,6 (m42) Reply with quote

I bought the Tamron 300mm f/5.6 (M42).
you know something of him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good quality lens, pretty average I expect this result.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know where I can view photos taken with this lens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember somebody already tested from us. Please try search function.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found photos with the Tamron 300mm SP, but not with this model.
Nor gathering evidence on this Tamron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many people publish it, because result is weak.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens and I used it for some bird photography before I got better and longer equipment.

It is not stellar, but for the price it is good. I have not tried the SP variant but if it is better then it most be an impressive piece of optics.

Examples.
First one may be at F8. It is unprocessed.

And a 100% crop from the above.

Another one F5,6 and unprocessed:

Hope that will help some.
/Jan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good example. does not seem so bad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this is the Adaptamatic ? I have been looking for a cheap one.

I find its very hard to make a distinction between long lenses. It takes a very great difference in quality to separate them, because it is fundamentally difficult to take a quality shot - there are so many things that affect image quality that are more significant than the lens quality.

I find the Tamron 200/3.5 Adaptamatic to be excellent, for what its worth.

The bird pictures seem like what one could expect from many lenses of this type, when everything else is right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be HAPPY to get these results! I simply can't see how these could be APPRECIABLY better, at least based on the web.

Good work!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first print of the Tamron are good.
I have to prove it better, these shots are at home.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received one of these through the post this morning, and what a heavy fella he is! I've taken a few shots and all seems well, except the lens doesn't seem to screw all the way into my camera (fitted with M42 adapter).

I checked the Adaptamatic mount and I have the correct Pentax M42 one, and looking at the mount, it is only worn (silvery) up to about 2/3rds of the way into the screw, so I guess no-one has ever screwed it all the way in!

Is this is the same experience for you guys? The lens is literally stuck out from the camera body a bit.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M42 thread doesn't screw all the way into your M42 adapter ?

It certainly should ! If not theres a thread problem somewhere, maybe a cross-thread.

The more usual problem with Adaptamatics is that the retaining ring (silver) that holds in the lens mount can be screwed in while the mount is not installed properly. The lens mount has a socket that needs to engage a pin on the lens to be aligned. If this is off, the lens won't go to infinity.

I'm still looking for one of these 300mm's, as I'm collecting the Adaptamatics. The 300mm is pretty easy to find, I expect I'll get one for a good price eventually.

The real collecting prizes among the Adaptamatics are the ones at either end of the line, the 21mm and the monster 200-500mm zoom, and that rare bird the 105/2.5. I saw the 105mm just once, and I failed to get it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Tair 300mm/F4.5 PhS for £15. It's faster and sharper. And probably heavier too.

If you can get over the odd focus ring and the strange stopdown lever, it's a good lens for the price.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 105mm 2,5 but it has a slight haze.
Luisalegria: If I have known you wanted one and it was rare, I would have bid on one the other day.
It was a large lot of equipmnet with one meyer 135mm and the tamron.
Look Here
Since I had both I did not bother.
I actually spotted one a few months ago also. Maybe it was popular and sold well in Sweden.

If you want me to be on the lookout for one, just send me a pm. Nothing extra charged.

/Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luisalegria,
There was one just a few days ago on the Goodwill auction site...I had it on my watch list but did not bid on it though...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The M42 thread doesn't screw all the way into your M42 adapter ?

It certainly should ! If not theres a thread problem somewhere, maybe a cross-thread.

The more usual problem with Adaptamatics is that the retaining ring (silver) that holds in the lens mount can be screwed in while the mount is not installed properly. The lens mount has a socket that needs to engage a pin on the lens to be aligned. If this is off, the lens won't go to infinity.

I'm still looking for one of these 300mm's, as I'm collecting the Adaptamatics. The 300mm is pretty easy to find, I expect I'll get one for a good price eventually.

The real collecting prizes among the Adaptamatics are the ones at either end of the line, the 21mm and the monster 200-500mm zoom, and that rare bird the 105/2.5. I saw the 105mm just once, and I failed to get it.

Ah, OK I'll double check the mount later. I've already had that and the silver ring out twice, maybe I missed something. I seem to remember that the mount appears to have more rings than a standard M42 lens (I'll check tonight), but the markings indicate it is the correct mount (P-CS as per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamron#Discontinued_lenses_and_mounts)

My copy hhas been well used but looks great optically and steps down nice and snappily! Picked it up on ebay for under £20 delivered Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrgh, I'm such a divvie!! The lens IS mounted correctly, when I looked at it from the side it didn't look like it was (looked like there was a gap in between the silver M42 adapter on the camera body and the silver ring holding the Adaptamatic mount in place) , but that's because the black Pentax Adaptamatic mount petrudes a bit.

Here's what I mean:

The lens itself (well used, but optically and mechanically perfect by the looks of it Smile )

This should be some fun to use, must buy a monopod or something portable first though, as hand held in low light = a right old pain with this lens Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Picked up the Tamron 300 5.6 on eBay for $50. Reply with quote

I'd say its a decent lens. I used it this morning on a Canon 20D (or D20, oh hell, its the 8MP one). I'd say its not too shabby. Granted, I got lucky with this spray and pray shot:

I've cropped the raw image and done just a bit of cleanup. There's still room for more tweaking. Like a bit more light for one thing. It was not so dark.

BTW, that's a redtail hawk, just after he got a little pissed at me pointing the lens at him while sitting on a branch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up the Tamron 300 5.6 on eBay for $50. Reply with quote

katphood wrote:
I'd say its a decent lens. I used it this morning on a Canon 20D (or D20, oh hell, its the 8MP one). I'd say its not too shabby. Granted, I got lucky with this spray and pray shot:

I've cropped the raw image and done just a bit of cleanup. There's still room for more tweaking. Like a bit more light for one thing. It was not so dark.

BTW, that's a redtail hawk, just after he got a little pissed at me pointing the lens at him while sitting on a branch.

There you go, lovely shot! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done !

A good BIF - "bird in flight" - is a real challenge for MF lenses.