Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 8/500 Birds
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Tokina 8/500 Birds Reply with quote

Some shots with the Tokina 8/500 catadioptric.

About the smallest 500mm around. Focussing is easier than with other mirrortele's, the only setbacks are the lack of weight and the lack of contrast which makes it suitable for sunny, contrasty conditions only

These pictures were taken using the Tokina on my EOS350, when the new adapter arrives i will try it on my new Oly330

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive results for a mirror lens Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really impressive for me too. Any post processing?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paolo0720 wrote:
Really impressive for me too. Any post processing?

Some contrast enhencement and sharpening.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still very impressive

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pictures and they are the sharpest I have ever seen from a Tokina mirror (Haven’t seen many examples)
Nice work and very refreshing to see a good mirror lens in the hands of somebody who can get the best from it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
I like the pictures and they are the sharpest I have ever seen from a Tokina mirror (Haven’t seen many examples)
Nice work and very refreshing to see a good mirror lens in the hands of somebody who can get the best from it.

Thanks.
The pictures i posted here could give a wrong idea about the overall qualities of this Tokina (and mirrortele's in general). To give an honest impression, i should post my garbagebin filled up with all the images that i lost by the lack of stability and the lack of focussingprecision.
In a few weeks a new adapter will arrive that should make focussing easier, stability will always be an issue even with the use of monopods or tripods, mirrortele's are simply too lightweighted.
The funfactor however is high, playing around with a 500mm, bought for appr. the price of the frontcap of a 50-500 superzoom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stability and focusing is always a problem with any 500mm lens. It is only ever luck if you get a sharp picture without a heavy tripod or something solid and a bean bag to support one.
You can never blame the lens for that!