Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

some lenses at the thrift store.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: some lenses at the thrift store. Reply with quote

A local thrift store has a couple old cameras for super cheap that come with some interesting lenses and I was wondering if they are worth the prices which are actually very cheap. Can anyone tell me anything about these lenses? Should I even bother? I have a nikkor 50mm f1.8 AI lens so I already have something in the focal length but it may be fun to try these. My plan is to get the necessary adapters to put them on my Canon 40D. I plan on getting an m42 adapter anyway but I would have to get a yashica adapter to use the yashica.

Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 - $8 USD
Yashica 45mm f1.7 - $5 USD + $15-24 for adapter on ebay.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take both without hesitation if there is no fungus and the blades are working.
If you mean Yashica 50/1.7 it is more than worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:

If you mean Yashica 50/1.7 it is more than worth it.

It is an old yashica electro and the lens was very clearly marked as 45mm. It said "Yashinon-DX 1:1.7 f=45mm". Well I guess I should pick them since they are super cheap, I probably shouldn't have even hesitated at those prices.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Certainly attractive prices! But it sounds like the Yashica is a rangefinder (the Electro 35) rather than an SLR. The 45mm f/1.7 specification would be correct for that model. The lens is said to be capable of very good results, but it's fixed - non-removable. So if you buy the Yashica, buy it to use as a film camera, rather than as a lens donor.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
Hi,

Certainly attractive prices! But it sounds like the Yashica is a rangefinder (the Electro 35) rather than an SLR. The 45mm f/1.7 specification would be correct for that model. The lens is said to be capable of very good results, but it's fixed - non-removable. So if you buy the Yashica, buy it to use as a film camera, rather than as a lens donor.

Cheers,

Jon

You are right, I wasn't even paying attention to the fact that it was a range finder I guess I was just excited to find a bunch of old lenses for super cheap. I'll try and pick up that Zeiss still though. I went to another store today after posting this thread and I picked up a m42 mamiya 55mm f1.8 today in extremely good condition for $10. I look forward to trying that one out, I just need to get the m42 adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 $ for the Yashica rangefinder ???? If in good state, take it ! and if you don't like it, sell it on the Bay with a profit.