Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got a new old lens.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Got a new old lens..... Reply with quote

I got this in the mail yesterday. The camera has been in a barn in Canada for 50 years, and it's cosmetically pretty rough and needs shutter curtains, but seems mechanically pretty much okay.

The lens on it turned out to be a 50mm f/1.5 Angenieux S21 from 1953. It has been pretty well protected by the metal lens cap and the camera body, though there is a bit of cement damage that makes things a bit soft and flarey wide open. I'm hoping to restore both the camera and the lens...

The original-equipment Zeiss Ikon VEB eyecup is kind of neat too

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing you were able to remove the lens from the body! I like the
position for the shutter release, looks quite ergonomic. Hope you post
some pics when it is shiny new again!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihave the same camera with the czj Biotar . The 1,5/50 Angenieux is in the list of the most "sought after" lenses in the world ... (For instance by me .... Mr. Green ) This is an enormous piece of chance , I say ... Congrats . Very Happy
PS : beware of the lens coating . Very , very sensible on Angenieux lenses . I clean the frontal element once a year , not more ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a treasure !

And what a fixer-upper !

Thats an exotic bit of glass for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a comparison of the lens's performance wide open and at f/5.6 (shot on a Canon 400D). I'm not surprised that the coating would be soft, but that does limit my options.... I'm probably as well off living with the cement issues as I would be losing the coating, so I'll probably leave that bit well enough alone and concentrate on cleaning and lubrication.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleaned it up a bit and relubed the helical, i think that's all for the time being...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have a horde of those things don't you ?

How are they ?

Pity about the Angenieux. I expect there is a place that can repair the lens. The potential value of this thing may justify it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very pleasant to use, and reliable if not used as hammers. The shutters are guaranteed to need new curtains now, and they are usually so stiff that they will not travel, which makes it look like they have a mechanical failure... but usually with new curtains they will come back to life. There is one area where a metallurgy problem resulted in fatigue cracking in one of the critical levers in the shutter - even working cameras often have a crack starting in this part - so a successful fix is not 100% assured when you change the curtains.

The viewfinder is VERY dim in all but the last "F" series. This was the first pentaprism finder, and they used the bottom face of the prism as the groundglass. It makes for a super compact system but there is no field lens to brighten the corners of the screen. They beveled the edges of the groundglass, which creates a clever 'bright outline' effect so that you can at least tell where the edges ARE.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
they used the bottom face of the prism as the groundglass. It makes for a super compact system but there is no field lens to brighten the corners of the screen.

I've always wondered why the prism is always separate from the screen. Now I have the answer - thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the oven trick for the cement issue take off the coating too?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in somewhere that the excesive heat can alter the molecular composition of coated.

I don't know if this imply a material damage (able to be seen) too.

Rino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really happy this poor camera landed in right hands! You have awesome collection! Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a digital SLR in a barn for fifty years, and I'd bed money it wouldn't survive quite so well Laughing

Well done, I'm amazed the lens still functions, looks remarkably well preserved Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is I've heard quite a few success stories dealing with a lightly heated oven and separation. Maybe it is not worth the attempt considering the rarity of the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exotic ? No, Luis , French .... Mr. Green Only French ... However , I recognize that Bausch & Lomb optics and other american marvels (Aero-Ektar ...) sounds a bit "exotic" for me too... Laughing I think the best place to repair this lens is Angénieux itself ... Why not ? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Helios,

Its exotic indeed I think, not just French !

And there are plenty of Aero-Ektars compared to Angenieux 50mm M42 lenses. Bausch&Lomb are just Zeiss Tessars made under license.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis , I knew this for bausch & lomb ... In France , there was a very good optician who made Tessar, Unar, Protar under license too ... : Krauss Paris , who became Bbt-Krauss (military and LF optics) I have bbt-krauss binoculars which can be compared with zeiss ...
So , b&l tessar, krauss-tessar and ross-tessar existed .... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another series, without the intense backlighting. The lens is still flarey wide open but it comes well under control at 2.0 and is very nice at 2.8. Even at f/1.5, you can easily make the flare go away by dialing up the contrast in postprocessing and you're left with a nice crisp, shallow-DOF image:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might as well be that this flaring is not a problem of your copy but rather of the lens design. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a followup on the Pentacon. I still have to replace the shutter curtains and leather covering....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, a Pentacon with no clothes on Embarassed

It's cleaning up nicely, how fortunate it found its way to you Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, last post. cosmetics are done. i still have to do the curtain replacement, i have to do that on one of my other pentacons too, so one of these days i'll make a party of it and do them both.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! Looking good!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Great job! Looking good!

Was there any doubt? After all, this is Rick Oleson that's doing the work. Wink

Fantastic refurb, Rick!