Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Tokina SD 270 & SZ-X 845
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Testing Tokina SD 270 & SZ-X 845 Reply with quote

I have used Tokina SD 270 28-70 3,5/4,5 and Tokina SZ-X 845 80-200 4,5/5,6 on my A7II. Sometimes you just want to be able to take good pics, cover a wide range of focal lengths and do not want to feel crushed under the weight.

Of course you have a number of good recent 28-200 modern lenses. But if you want to stay cheap and light Tokina SZ-X lenses are an option.

I bought these two lenses long time ago. Both seemed to suffer some tilt of the focal plane. The 28-70 270 SD seemed to suffer from sharpness variation on the frame sometimes in the midzone that I could not understand. The 80 200 845 was unequally sharp on the left and right part of the frame. I tossed some copies of these lenses.

A few weeks ago I shimmed again my Canon FD adapter and since my Tokinas are FD mount equipped I took them out of the cupboard and was pleasantly surprised. Since the contrast of these lenses is inferior to Canon or Minolta lenses I commonly use it is less easy to focus exactly which might sometimes disappoint. But when you nail focus results are nice.

The first one has the size of a 50 1,4 (a legacy one, not a Sigma ART behemoth) and the second the size of a 135 3,5.

Rue Royale - Saint-Cloud by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

Contrejour by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

Iris by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

Last edited by lumens pixel on Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Not bad at all!

Yep. These lenses are floating designs and it is easy to ruin the output with the adapters. This probably explains the very mixed opinions you read on the web.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris Court of justice, Tokina 270:

Palais de justice de Paris | Paris Court of justice by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Paris Court of justice, Tokina 270:

Palais de justice de Paris | Paris Court of justice by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

Looks good to me 👍

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina SD 270 again. Sometimes the pics are sharp and often extra sharp and I do not now how I manage to get there. This one was extra sharp.

Chaos et lumière | Chaos and light by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very decent, still has lot of analogue feel in pics

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. here is a 100% crop:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of ".. sharp but soft .." Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
kind of ".. sharp but soft .." Smile

Joking aside there is something true in your words. Canon sharpness is crunchy, Minolta more delicate and here there is a lot of resolution but even less inky black contrast. So you have to adjust in post to your taste. Very peculiar and I am not sure I can define it precisely.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From these pictures I'd say that the 28-70 is much sharper than most of legacy 28mm primes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im not joking,
my quote sounds silly but those words are kind of simple & healthy logic,
without being extra ordinary very mega super smart with fansy hipster terminology 3d pop thingy ..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
well im not joking,
my quote sounds silly but those words are kind of simple & healthy logic,
without being extra ordinary very mega super smart with fansy hipster terminology 3d pop thingy ..

Now I am lost Laugh 1