Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma MINI-WIDE 28mm question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Sigma MINI-WIDE 28mm question Reply with quote

Hello!

I have just discovered this wonderful world of manual lenses.. Smile

My first buy was a CHINON 50mm 1,7 and I really like it!

My secon buy was a SIGMA MINI WIDE 1:2,8 f=28mm MULTI-COATED.
When I recieved it and started to inspect the lenses I discovered that one of the lenses inside has a very coarse/grainy surface it looks like one million small small scratches if you look into it from the back.

Now my question: Should it look like this? Is it some kind of anti-reflex surface or is the lens broken?

Regards // Per W

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to photograph it but it was kind of hard... but anyway this is how it looks. (click the images for full size)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this topic:

http://forum.mflenses.com/thrift-store-sigma-28-2-8-mini-wide-macro-lens-t6422,highlight,sigma+28mm.html

luisalegria wrote:
I've had one for thirty years, one of the few lenses I've bought deliberately. Unfortunately mine has developed bad haze in its inner elements, and now flares terribly

It seems that I´ve got the same problem.. Sad is this fixable? I think it´s the coating who have gave up...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly you can clean the internal surface of the last rear lens. It seems to me that there it is the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it´s one of the lenses in the middle the one that is very curved

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. It looks just like what my lens has. One of these days I am going to try to fix it, but I don't have much hope.

I am sure I can disassemble the optics and almost sure I can clean the haze with acetone (the haze is probably from the oil or grease). But I am not confident that I can put it back together.

This is a complex wide angle and the assembly tolerances are very critical. I'm not sure that an amateur like me can reassemble this accurately and still have a decent lens. I disassemble and clean glass all the time for tele lenses, and have had good success, but tolerances for those are not so tight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a Sigma Mini Wide 28/2.8 in M42 mount wednesday (with Spotmatic SP, Staks 50/1.4 & 200/4 for 102 EUR), the lens looks like new, but has points one a inner element too. There seem to be aroud the diaphragm, but I tested it wide opened both at infinty and at it's closest distance of focusing, it seems to have no problem, this is rather good for a wide angle wide opened. I had the II version in PKA mount, the results were equivalents, but the inner elements were clear Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
This is a complex wide angle and the assembly tolerances are very critical

Ok.... is it at all possible to get it together? or do you need som kind of special tools or fixtures.. ??

The seller offered me to return it and get my money back... but I only payed about 15dollars or 12 euro... so I´m not going bankrupt if I fail to get it together again...

What do you think should I return it? Or give it a try in the workshop? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can return it I suggest you do that, unless you want the adventure in lens repair. That can be fun and very satisfying when you succeed.

This is not a rare or expensive lens and it shouldn't be too hard to find a good one. If this was a Zeiss Flektogon you picked up as a bargain you should of course try the repair, as you would have much to gain. But not in this case.

The equipment I am thinking of are, beyond the usual and unusual hand tools, a collimator appropriate to this lens. And besides that the knowledge and skill to use them to get the spacing and alignment of the lenses right. Usually I just happily push lenses back in to their sockets and screw in the retaining rings without a care, but I don't think that will work well in this case.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you test it, before thinking of throwing it away ?
Mine has points like yours, but is rather sharp wide opened so I don't worry about it Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again!

Yes I have tried it... the pictures gets like a white milky fog look.. and it can´t handle direct light at all... could maybe be used for some artistic-effect photo Smile

The seller said he would send my money back, but I still haven´t got them.. I´ll give him some more days before he gets a negative feedback..

If he doesn´t pay I´ll use it as a lesson in lens-mechanics Smile maybe I can bulid some kind of adapter from it..

// Per Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had one lens, a Yashica ML which had similar little spots on an inner glass surface, when it arrived. Optically it seemed without impact, and after some time it disappeared. Perhaps it was some condensed moisture inside the lens. You could try to put it in the sunshine on the window shelf.