Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New lens on the block ... Schacht Travenar 90/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: New lens on the block ... Schacht Travenar 90/2.8 Reply with quote

Hi all,

This one has been in my bag since the 3rd of january ... It was only yesterday that i had the time to take some test pics ...

I got this lens from a local seller, paid 15 euros because of the dent on the filter ring (this is my first Schacht lens, and i really wanted to see how it performed ...).
All the pictures taken with a Pentax K10D, PP by Silkypix for white balance and level adjust only ...

Front view, with the dent on the right of the picture:

At first, the lens is quite compact, especially when compared to my Pentax-K 85/1.8 (see pic below) ...

Used wide open, it shows a low contrast (maybe because of the light reflections from the white bookcase in the background ?) ...

Same picture at f/5.6 ...

Having the light source behind the camera seems to lead to better results (f/5.6) ...

100% crop of the picture above ...

The lens is quite easy to focus, and the diaphragm ring has click stop every half a stop. It seems quite prone to flare (uncoated lens ?), but carefully positioning the light source seems to give better results (unluckily, cannot use an hood because of the dent Crying or Very sad ).

The whole set, with the full res (10MP) pictures, other tests and crops, is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/indianadinos/sets/72157612983362565/

Thanks in advance for your comments ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attractive neutral tones for portrais (FORWHAT THE LENS IS FOR).

Not the sharpest, may be, but suficient to me.

Creamy clears colors. More pics to judge.

It's very nice for me.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: New lens on the block ... Schacht Travenar 90/2.8 Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
(unluckily, cannot use an hood because of the dent Crying or Very sad ).
I have seen many inexpensive tools offered on eBay, primarily for purposes of restoring filter threads. They are small screw-actuated vices, matched to the thread pitch of most lenses' filter mounts.

Click here to see on Ebay
This is but one example.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh seems to me very similar to Meyer's lenses. The contrast is a problem with film (if you don't do darkroom by yourselves), with digital it could be instead a good thing because you have more room to play with in post production.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments ...

estudleon wrote:
Attractive neutral tones for portrais (FORWHAT THE LENS IS FOR).

Not the sharpest, may be, but suficient to me.

Creamy clears colors. More pics to judge.

It's very nice for me.

Rino.

Totally agree for the neutral tones ...
Effectively, my Pentax-K 85/1.8 is much sharper than the Travenar ... Nevertheless, according to what you wrote ("FOR WHAT THE LENS IS FOR"), you seem to know better than me this lens ... Will try to post more pictures during this week-end, if i get some sun, in the oversized gallery ...

SkedAddled wrote:

I have seen many inexpensive tools offered on eBay, primarily for purposes of restoring filter threads. They are small screw-actuated vices, matched to the thread pitch of most lenses' filter mounts.

Unluckily, the item is invalid (auction too old ?) ... Anyway, i will try a search on eBay (the ones from microtools are quite expensive) ...

A G Photography wrote:

The bokeh seems to me very similar to Meyer's lenses. The contrast is a problem with film (if you don't do darkroom by yourselves), with digital it could be instead a good thing because you have more room to play with in post production.

Yes, i have a Meyer Orestor 100/2.8 which has a similar bokeh ... Quite stunning, since the Orestor has a 15-blades diaphragm, while the Travenar has only 6 ... I am aware that the bokeh is not determined only by the number of blades, but this has been really a good surprise ...

Thanks again to all for your comments.

Best regards

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indianadinos

It is not that I have a greater knowledge than you on your lens.
What it happens is that the short and medium telephoto lenses (less than 200 mm) are usually used for taking portraits because the perspective of them are adecuate for such activity.
By all means you can use your lens for what you please to it more, with the limitations of the minimun distance of focus and the angle of view.

Rino.