Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

To buy or not the Zeiss Planar 50/1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: To buy or not the Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 Reply with quote

I already have some 50's: Industar 50/3.5, Zuiko 50/1.8, Fujinon EBC 55/1.8, and Helios 58/2. They are all good lenses, for me.
But I'm MF lens addicted, so I want more, and have an unused C/Y > EOS adapter somewhere in a drawer (not to mention the unusd PK > EOS adapter and a unused adaptall-2 > M42).

I'm going to buy the planar 50/1.7, but have some doubts: is it really far better than, say, the Zuiko? Or I can spare money and buy a Pancolar?
I never tested Planar or Pancolar against my 50's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.7 Planar is a nice lens, and probably won't disappoint you. If you could push to it, the 1.4 is a truly lovely lens, and Rollei-mount versions may still be had for not too ridiculous amounts of money - check out Rollei SL35 auctions, sometimes they have the 1.4 attached Wink

Whilst not as desirable to the discerning collector as the 'pure' CZ Planars, they're well-built (the German one I have is anyway), and can give amazing results for a fraction of the cost.

I have a 1.8 Zuiko in M42 mount and have shot side by side with the Planar - the difference between them is not as big as you might think - but wide-open, the Planar shines through. Can't comment on the Pancolar as I don't have one yet, but by all accounts, it's a really great performer.

Hope this is of some help to you Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50 1.7 has very good MTF charts, hence its reputation. I have the 50 1.4 contax which I choose over the 50 1.7 for character and colour rendition, In the "real world" I am not sure if you would see the difference in resolution terms unless you are comparing 1.7 (sharp) with 1.4 (soft) I has great colour rendition but I prefer the magic warmth I seem to get from the 1.4. I have other 50mm lenses including the zuiko I have never really compared them back to back. I have filled my 50mm slot so I shoot with others just for curiosity occasionally.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the Industar 50/3.5, Zuiko 50/1.8 and Helios 58/2
They are all nice lens and can even sometimes perform better than the Zeiss for bokeh and CA
take the Zeiss if you want the best; it is not expensive and easy to sell back if you are not able to feel its power
The Zuiko can sometimes give nice result but I found it weaker for flare, contrast and colors; it need more poposhop to make pics pop
I usually prefer the bokeh of the Zeiss 1.4 on cropped digital but the 1.7 is really impressive on film and I keep them both

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "nomal" lenses aren't expensives.

Why not to buy a pancolar, the planars (Contax and german/singapur HFT), the SMC 50/1,7?

If I have to choose one, Pancolar. But all of this (and others) are excelents too.

Anothers names? SMC 50/1,4, Mamiya 50/1,7, Yashica DSB 50/1,2 (Porst too), Pentacon 50/1,8, Rikenon 50/2, Xenon 50/1,9, Westranar 50/1,9, etc.

Good luck. Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP
Keith G wrote:
This is a no-brainer - you are already wondering and will not rest until you have bought one and tried it, so just get one! Very Happy

OK, I think that that's the point Very Happy

I'll buy a Planar: then, after a few weeeks, I'll open a new thread asking "to buy or not a Pancolar/Takumar/Tamron 90SP ...." Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YureW wrote:

I'll buy a Planar: then, after a few weeeks, I'll open a new thread asking "to buy or not a Pancolar/Takumar/Tamron 90SP ...." Very Happy

No... the point is you need them all! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
YureW wrote:

All of us need all Laughing Laughing

YOU TOO Twisted Evil

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
YureW wrote:

Too true!
If I have a Katastroplan Dominor 43/1.7, I'm not happy: I want the Eptanon 44/2.2, and not a single copy, but one with an even serial number and one with an odd serial number.

It's a problem, so I decided not to buy more than a lens per month, or less.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith G wrote:
estudleon wrote:
All of us need all Laughing Laughing

YOU TOO Twisted Evil

Rino.

Bingo Bongo!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bingo! Laughing Laughing

Bongo! Laughing Laughing

What humor!! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bungo?

Question

Am I right?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YureW wrote:
Bungo?

Question

Am I right?

Not quite - you need to complete the collection of B*ngos with "Bango", "Bengo" and then "Bungo" Laughing