Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MASSA filters - Any information?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: MASSA filters - Any information? Reply with quote

I searched the forum, and the name was not found.

It's likely a Japanese brand, and I find them available for extremely low prices.

Has anyone here used these, and can offer any thoughts? What I have in mind is a simple MC UV/protection filter, so nothing like PL or other aspects to consider. At 67mm, well-known brands can be rather costly, which is why I'm asking about this.

Many thanks for any information.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I don't know this brand, but if you really want a protective filter, i would save and buy a "well-branded" one ...
Adding a filter on a lens will always degrade IQ, because there will be an air/glass layer more than what was designed by the manufacturer. So, your issue would be to find a filter which degrades the IQ of the lens as little as possible (or, as little as you can accept) ... Just keep in mind that good filters are expensive, i solved this problem using "alternate" (read: Hong-Kong based) sources and group orders, to keep prices as low as possible ...

Hope this helps

Best regards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MASSA is a Chinese brand and is one of the bigger camera accessories suppliers in China.

The quality is not bad, but the thread is not always smooth. I bought 30+ of their filters and got 1-2 with a less than smooth thread.

They are currently upgrading their line, and it now comes with better packing. Also, for UV filters they have 2 grades, the cheap grade is plain "UV" and they also have "MC-UV" (Multicoated UV) which only slightly more expensive.

If you are interested, i could get these for you.
Perhaps Attila is even interested to do a group buy. (Attila please confirm Laughing )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
I don't know this brand, but if you really want a protective filter, i would save and buy a "well-branded" one
I did just that when I finally purchased my 400D. I spent over 25USD for a highly-rated HOYA multicoated UV filter for the 18-55 kit lens, as that's to be my primary-use lens until I'm able to either afford or find a better replacement. I used the Crystal Optics-branded UV filter I used to have on my Powershot S3iS on a few comparison shots, and I could see no difference. Certainly to my advantage, I tend to take shots which require using a tripod, which helps to eliminate the need for higher-priced filters. As it is, the UV filter is primarily for front-element protection in my case, being there to save me from cleaning which could affect the lens' coating. I'd rather spend more on a CPL or other specific-function filter, than spend it on what is fundamentally a clear piece of glass.

hk300 wrote:
MASSA is a Chinese brand and is one of the bigger camera accessories suppliers in China.

The quality is not bad, but the thread is not always smooth. I bought 30+ of their filters and got 1-2 with a less than smooth thread.

They are currently upgrading their line, and it now comes with better packing. Also, for UV filters they have 2 grades, the cheap grade is plain "UV" and they also have "MC-UV" (Multicoated UV) which only slightly more expensive.
Many thanks for this information. The MC-UV is indeed what I've been looking at. My main reason for asking is to learn if there are any serious or obvious issues with this brand, and it sounds as there are none.
hk300 wrote:
If you are interested, i could get these for you.
That is a kind offer, but there are plenty of sources to me as a US buyer. Some even include free shipping. Most of them I find are priced at around 5 or 6 USD.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All cheap filter good for transparent lens cap only. I never left any filter on when I took captures. Orio said B+W filters not degrade IQ others do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
All cheap filter good for transparent lens cap only.
I mostly agree with this statement, Attila.

But seeing as much of my photography is done while prowling around abandoned buildings, I feel it's worth it to have a cheap clear filter on the front of my lenses. There are many hazards to be found in such places, several of which can easily damage a front element, so I prefer to have that extra bit of protection in place. It's simply too easy for a lens to get banged against something damaging in close confines, so I would rather replace a cheap filter instead of the lens itself.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a used brand filter like Hoya or better you can get cheaply too and it's optical quality even if scratched better than a noname filter quality.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that some cheap filters are really no good, but sometimes I am curious how *bad* the low-cost filters are.

I have a MASSA and a KENKO Pro1 52mm filter, perhaps i should try to compare these Laughing