Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ricoh mount lenses - is pin removal needed?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Ricoh mount lenses - is pin removal needed? Reply with quote

I just bought Rikenon P 50/2 "pancake"

Ricoh mount is the same as Pentax K except there is a small pin that can get the lens stuck on Pentax DSLR. I googled and found good instructions removing the pin. But some people said that it wont get stuck if the pin is round shaped without sharp edges. Any experience?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove it ... It's safer ! I got no problems with 3 lenses (2 zooms and a 28mm) but I removed it on the 3 . That's a Dslr life insurance .... Very Happy
About pancake's : I have a Revuenon (clone of the chinon-cosina) 2,8/45mm . Excellent !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! But I'm a risk taker. Let's see when I receive it... maybe I end up shooting years with the same lens Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios wrote:
.......I have a Revuenon (clone of the chinon-cosina) 2,8/45mm . Excellent !

I just got Petri 45mm f2.8, may be similar to yours... But I will not say pancake to that (although I bought that with pancake in mind)... Soft wide open... (relative term... sorry, I compare the lens with CZ planar 50mm f1.7 Embarassed)... but becomes similar to Planar in sharpness by f8 (or may be little earlier too...

But the lens in size is similar to Nikon Series-E 50mm f1.8 and Oly Zuiko 50mm f1.8 (one of the sharpest 50mm lens, I have.. but bad highlight bokeh)...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Risk NOT worth it. Reply with quote

I have loads of Ricoh lenses, and Sears Ricoh-fits as well... If one uses them on a KAF2 mount or indeed most any autofocus Pentax mount, the pin engages with the autofocus lug at about 1/3 rotation and then you are in (if you are lucky) for hours of 'fun' with a very very fine feeler guage, with the 'best' result being a badly scratched mount and lots of 'lovely' metal shards to ruin your sensor, and at worst well..

So DO NOT risk it when removing the pins takes 5 minutes and is totally reversible (if you don't mislay them!) ??

Doug.
Riku wrote:
Thanks! But I'm a risk taker. Let's see when I receive it... maybe I end up shooting years with the same lens Laughing

Last edited by nemesis101 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree with the other posts. Don't risk it. Don't even be tempted to try it. Remove the pin.
I have only had one Ricoh mount lens and it took a few minutes to remove the pin. It took less time to put it back when I found the lens wasn't much good and I sold it on.
(The lens was the 60-300mm)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, you talked me out from it. I hope the screws are not too tight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew something would go wrong Embarassed I opened the screws and lifted the mount. The pin just fell off and I put the mount back. BUT... now aperture ring has no stops, it's just rotating freely. Lens stops down correctly. What do you think happened?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
I knew something would go wrong Embarassed I opened the screws and lifted the mount. The pin just fell off and I put the mount back. BUT... now aperture ring has no stops, it's just rotating freely. Lens stops down correctly. What do you think happened?

You also lifted the aperture ring and lost the little ball responsible for the "click"...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
Riku wrote:

You also lifted the aperture ring and lost the little ball responsible for the "click"...

Yes! Little ball fell off too. I thought that might have been the reason. Now where exactly that belongs? I'm not really a "do it yourself" kind of person. By the way, the lens seems very sharp in my first test shots, but is not really a "pancake" lens, only a little smaller than Pentax-M 50/1.7. I'm going test these lenses tomorrow.

Edit: I fixed it Very Happy

Last edited by Riku on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
Yes! Little ball fell off too. I thought that might have been the reason. Now where exactly that belongs?

I have the f1.7 version (I think). The aperture is sticky, that's a good opportunity to open the lens. I'll look where is supposed to be the "click ball" (usually in a little groove under the aperture ring) ... more later when I'll be back home Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but I fixed it already! After I dropped the little ball on the floor and spent 15 minutes searching for it Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
Thanks but I fixed it already! After I dropped the little ball on the floor and spent 15 minutes searching for it Embarassed

A lesson I learned the hard way ... always disassemble a lens over a cloth (I use a microfiber cloth) if you don't want to spend the next 15 minutes on your knees searching for a microscopic item Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"After I dropped the little ball on the floor and spent 15 minutes searching for it"

It helps to have a magnet handy to find those little parts that do manage to find their way to the floor...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
"After I dropped the little ball on the floor and spent 15 minutes searching for it"

It helps to have a magnet handy to find those little parts that do manage to find their way to the floor...

I second that. My magnet has got me out of trouble countless times. It originally started life as a means of attaching a mobile phone in the car, but I never used it. I can't believe its power/size!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I will open more lenses in the future. A few needs to be cleaned up.