Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shooting the Expired Stuff...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Shooting the Expired Stuff... Reply with quote

I have a couple of cameras now that are not really meant to be technically perfect or capture the moment in an accurate way: a home-made pinhole camera and a vivitar wide and slim. I've been looking to buying some expired stock to possibly get more outrageous and unpredictable results. I just bought several exp. rolls of e100gx for $1 a piece. They run about $7.50 new on adorama currently.

Generally I've always hated and resented the lomography style/mentality of shooting. It is just dada art rehashed. But I've gotten over that and actually can see the fun in it. I guess I've come to realize a good shot is a good shot even if the person did not control all the aspects of it...

Anyways on to my question...What does the expiration date of a film usually mean? If the film was kept in a moderate environment for several years past its date are there any expected results in terms of color/grain/consistency? I imagine in most cases there would be incredibly little difference...and it is more of a marketing situation than anything else. Is there anything I can do to new film to induce 'weird' results...like put them on a heater? Thanks everyone!

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If film not kept in cold temperature:

B&W films keep their quality long term after expiration date.
Color print films usable after expiration for months or years.
Slide films getting immediately wrong after weeks.

If stored properly in cold place especially slide films they keep they quality after for year perhaps and loose their genuine ISO value ex. 50 ISO film perform as 25 ISO.

Best practice put them into freezer before expiration date end even if you store them cold place.

In freezer they keep they quality for many years.

Some seller declare , they did try expired films before they selling them.

Like ultrafineonline etc. This is pretty safe purchase. I also bought many rolls from this kind of sellers and rolls works fine.