Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta X-700 curtain problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Minolta X-700 curtain problem Reply with quote

I`vu just received a minty minolta x-700 and I was really excited to use it, however it seem to have a rather nasty shutter problem. Whenever the shutter fires the curtains only open from the 2/3 of the frame. When I shoot B I can see that the second curtain only travels 2/3 and then stops.
Does anyone know if this issue is had to fix and maybe have some ideas to share ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You 'may' find help here http://www.twid.de/x700/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually find capacitors on ebay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid it isn't the capacitor problem, this would lock everything and the shutter wouldn't fire at all. It's most likely due to dust/dirt and
perhaps degraded oil on the bearings of the shutter roller shafts. There are four shafts so eight bearings, and they probably need
cleaning and relubricating. Unfortunately it involves a huge amount of disassembly and electronic work to get at them, as you will see in
the pics on those links. It's certainly above my skill level. If you particularly like and want to keep and use this camera it would be best
to send it to a professional for a proper CLA.

Last edited by peterqd on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I'm afraid it isn't the capacitor problem, this would lock everything and the shutter wouldn't fire at all. It's most likely due to dust/dirt and
perhaps degraded oil on the bearings of the shutter roller shafts. There are four shafts so eight bearings, and they probably need
cleaning and relubricating. Unfortunately it involves a huge amount of disassembly and electronic work to get at them, it's certainly
above my skill level. If you particularly like and want to keep and use this camera it would be best to send it to a professional for a
proper CLA.

I see. Thanks for the info. I`ll take it to a repairman and see how much does the CLA cost. Knowing the fact that I have payed like 3-5$ for it it might be cheaper to fix it than to buy a new one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I took the camera to the local repairman and can you believe it , it got fixed in 5 min . The whole repair costed me 8 USD . I`m very pleased with that and now I can try out a whole new system Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
So today I took the camera to the local repairman and can you believe it , it got fixed in 5 min . The whole repair costed me 8 USD . I`m very pleased with that and now I can try out a whole new system Smile

Excellent news! What did he do?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Drack wrote:

Excellent news! What did he do?

He took off the bottom plate of the camera. Then he unscrewed one screw that was directly below the film take up spool. If I understood everything correctly that screw held in position 2 gearwheel`s that are responsible for cocking the curtains. So he simply turned them into their right position, screwed back the screw and the bottom plate and Ta daaaa.... The camera is as good as new Smile

I was very lucky that the problem was so simplistic, because if it was in the shutter mechanism ( I mean the curtains itself) the repair price would have been ~ 150 USD which is way more than the price of the camera itself Very Happy