Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Quick Test of four Fast Nikkors.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Quick Test of four Fast Nikkors. Reply with quote

I've done some quick test of the 55/1.2 Nikkor against three generations of 50/1.4 Nikkors. I used my venerable Nikon D1 for the test, auto-white balance, fine Jpeg mode.

First up: the Nikkor-SC 50/1.4, factory AI converted. This lens was rebuilt by Mora camera about 20 years ago. It is in Top condition, and is one of the best made of the Nikkor 50's that you will find.

Focus is on the doll's left eye (right hand side of the image).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second up is a 55/1.2 AI series Nikkor, at F1.4.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third up is a 50/1.4 AIS series lens. This is an early AIS lens, and has had problems with oil on the aperture blades. It went to Nikon about 10 years ago for a CLA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And fourth, is an original series AF-Nikkor 50mm F1.4.

On the manual focus lenses, I used the focus confirm for each. On the AF-Nikkor, I let the camera perform autofocus.

Of all the lenses, it is the newest, the poorest performing, and the only one made out of PLASTIC.

What idiot decided to use Plastic in lenses, ANYWAY?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more- the 55/1.2 Nikkor wide-open:

Just to show how much better it is than the AF-Nikkor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lied.

Let's call this the "ground-truth" test.

60mm F2.8 AF-Micro-Nikkor, wide-open. Autofocus mode used.

and at F4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do this in RAW and give some crops of the eye?

The micro is sweet, but its intended for close focus. Nice lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one really screams at you and says "Look at me !"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
Can you do this in RAW and give some crops of the eye?

The micro is sweet, but its intended for close focus. Nice lens. Very Happy

yes I agree with spiralcity ! Smile

we'd like too see these nice pictures in processed RAW Smile ...

tf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do some better test with film. Or the DCS200, as it does not have an AA or Bayer filter on it. Good for center-sharpness tests.

On the D1, Raw mode gets 12-bits per pixel and more dynamic range. It does not really improve the spatial resolution over fine-mode. Basically, the latter is close to Jpeg lossless compression.

Now, on the 1992 vintage DCS-200, I wrote my own Raw converter that batch processes the image into BMP. I go from there to lossless compression on JPEG. I preferred to write my own FORTRAN code to do this than use Nikon's raw-processing software.

I mostly use my DSLR's for taking pictures OF cameras.

Above is with a 1998 Nikon E3 with the 60/2.8 Micro-Nikkor and SB-29 macro-speedlight. That's the 55/1.2 on the F2AS and a Nikon SP with a 5cm F1.4 next to it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I'll do some better test with film. Or the DCS200, as it does not have an AA or Bayer filter on it. Good for center-sharpness tests.

On the D1, Raw mode gets 12-bits per pixel and more dynamic range. It does not really improve the spatial resolution over fine-mode. Basically, the latter is close to Jpeg lossless compression.

Now, on the 1992 vintage DCS-200, I wrote my own Raw converter that batch processes the image into BMP. I go from there to lossless compression on JPEG. I preferred to write my own FORTRAN code to do this than use Nikon's raw-processing software.

I mostly use my DSLR's for taking pictures OF cameras.

Above is with a 1998 Nikon E3 with the 60/2.8 Micro-Nikkor and SB-29 macro-speedlight. That's the 55/1.2 on the F2AS and a Nikon SP with a 5cm F1.4 next to it.

EXCELLENT ! I love the cameras... Very Happy

This is how I use my Nikkor 50mm 1.4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice EL! I have the Pop Photo write-ups on it. I see a Nikon Camera glamor thread coming up!

That must be one of the last of the Chrome-Nosed Nikkor 50/1.4's!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gear is so beautiful!