Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you clean focusing screen?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: How do you clean focusing screen? Reply with quote

Hello Guys, Very Happy
one question: I havo to clean my spotties focus screen Embarassed . How do you suggest to clean? I have pec pad and eclypse, can i use them?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you clean focusing screen? Reply with quote

Hello,

atar wrote:
Hello Guys, Very Happy
one question: I havo to clean my spotties focus screen Embarassed . How do you suggest to clean? I have pec pad and eclypse, can i use them?

Thanks in advance

I have never cleaned mine with such a product, only with a rocket blower, but i have read somewhere on one of the forums i follow that it is safe to clean in in a glass of water with some drops of dishes detergent, and then rinsing with some optical cleaner fluid ...
But, since i cannot find again the link to the post, i would wait for someone more experienced ...

I know that this wouldn't help too much ...

Best regards

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you clean focusing screen? Reply with quote

atar wrote:
Hello Guys, Very Happy

Thanks in advance

Hi, the quick answer is yes. It's the best method I've found.

But....

The Eclipse will dissolve the old foam seals all round the screen and you are quite likely to smear the screen and make it even worse. You are lucky that the exposed side of the screen facing the mirror in the Spottie has a smooth surface - the fresnel grooves are on a separate screen above the bottom one. If you do smear it, the best way of cleaning I've found is to use a small piece of PecPad damped with water and squeezed out, with a trace of dishwashing detergent. This will remove the black smears. Allow this to dry properly, then use the Eclipse again. I've done several this way. It might take several attempts, but don't give up, it will come nice and clean eventually.

Lastly be careful with tweezers etc not to scratch the screen - that will ruin it forever. Use soft plastic tweezers if possible, or protect metal ones with some PVC insulating tape on the ends. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine needs to come out as I have what looks like an eyelash in it.

Is it possible to get replacement screens?

I really don't care much for the screen in the SP F. I prefer split prisms.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends - plain ground glass gets ultrasonic with an enzymatic cleaner (ground side up of course), anything beyond that gets only dry cleaning with brush and compressed air.