Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UVC UV-C cabinet storage
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: UVC UV-C cabinet storage Reply with quote

Over the weekend I decided to mount two 6'' 4watt UVC bulbs inside my cabinet that I use for lens storage. It is a fairly standard sized white file cabinet. The only light that escapes is the tiny amount around the hole I drilled for the power cord. I felt this was important since it is UVC and everything. I'm not really sure whether they will make much of an effect at warding off fungus but since I don't have a bright area to store them regularly, I thought this would be the next best solution. I guess my main concern is if they will cause heat build-up. Any ideas on how it will work and how long they would have to be on to make much of an impact?

~Marc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a good idea, but what impact do you expect? The light might "kill" the fungus, I'm not sure about that, but it won't remove any that may have already have formed.

Fungus spores are in the air all around us all the time. They will only germinate and grow where they find the very special conditions they need - moisture, darkness and still air. As long as you keep the lenses in a place that avoids any one of these conditions, fungus will not germinate or spread.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I actually was just seeking some more confidence in my storage methods. As long as my lenses don't develop fungus I'll toss it up to the UV lights. Don't ya just love specious reasoning? I think my next step will be to mount a fan into the cabinet wall itself.