Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spotmatic Light Seals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Spotmatic Light Seals Reply with quote

I won my 1st Spotmatic on the auctions site and after fixing an initial problem with a sticky shutter (thanks Peter) I want to restore it to a working camera.

I've seen a seller on the bay selling kits for light seal replacement. As I have none of the equipment to get me started, I was thinking of buying this Click here to see on Ebay.

Does anyone have any experience with these kits? Are there better ones?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, I bought a seal kit from Jon Goodman in Texas, mainly because he does the pre-cut strips for the door seals, which are not self-adhesive. The kit you found looks OK but I'm worried about you cutting and inserting self-adhesive foam in the door seals - it will be very tricky! I've done about 6 or 7 cameras with the one kit and I still have enough left for 3 or 4 more.
This is the one I got: Click here to see on Ebay but I think he does a smaller kit and he's very helpful if you have any questions.

For the door seals I actually think the Praktica way is better, using a black yarn. I've never looked for any but I think it's a better idea. You'd need to get just the right thickness.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another couple of links you might find helpful:

Classic Camera Repair Forum: http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

Yahoo Spotmatic Group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Spotmatic/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be much better but for a simple job just use the light seals from used 35mm film canisters. You can get as many as you like free from any store photo lab.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
For the door seals I actually think the Praktica way is better, using a black yarn. I've never looked for any but I think it's a better idea. You'd need to get just the right thickness.

HI!

What's? bsack yarn? How?

Sorpraised!!! Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
peterqd wrote:

HI!

What's? bsack yarn? How?

Sorpraised!!! Rino.

Hello Rino, most SLR camera makers used plastic foam strips set in thin slots to seal the film door to the body to prevent light leaks. The foam degrades over time and becomes a sticky black mess, and damages the paint on the door edges. But Praktica used instead a black cord, softer than string but tougher than wool, and it's always still in good condition. It was such a good idea I'm amazed nobody else copied them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody in the camera industry used felt and wool up until after WWII, when neoprene and PUR foam became generally available. Replacing one with the other is usually impossible, though - old style light traps designed for wool threads are deeper and more narrow than these for neoprene strips.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Goodman's small kit, and so far have re-sealed ... 5 cameras? and still have material left for more. Excellent seller, he's got enough detailed instructions for several cameras that even if yours isn't there you know what to do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Goodman kit. I did email him and ask if he had the smaller kits but no reply so I went ahead with the larger kit.

The mirror buffer concerns me the most. At least I don't have to worry about removing much of the old one as it's pretty much non-existent.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirror buffer's not all that bad, really - it can be a bit awkward because you want to hold the camera so the old stuff doesn't fall into it. If some does fall in, better on the bottom than on the focus screen... I've had to replace something like 3 mirror foams, and none caused me any problems.

Re-sealing is truly doable, fun even.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to ask, is as these seals come without glue, what glue is recommended?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need any adhesive Martin. The instructions you've seen on Jon Goodman's site explain this fully. The pre-cut door seal strips do not need adhesive, they are pushed into the slots. The other seals have a self-adhesive backing. He recommends dampening the adhesive with your tongue to allow for initial adjustment and then as it dries the bond becomes stronger.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Thanks again. I think today is stupid question day.

My excuse is, I'm at work so haven't got the instructions you sent me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All instructions here:
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Observe the precautions on the solvent can. Work in a well-ventilated area and
avoid too much skin contact or contact with eyes, and don’t drink it.

Made me laugh!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing