Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No plug in B&W "filmish" conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: No plug in B&W "filmish" conversion Reply with quote

This is a B&W conversion technique that I originally found on the internet some time ago. I don’t remember where it came from. It gives a more “film” look or something like film anyway. I’ve done some minor tweaking. It’s all done in PS (all versions) no plug-ins are necessary.

It doesn’t work for all pictures, lower contrast pics seem to do better than high contrast ones, and well lit pics work better than darker ones although darker ones can benefit also.

There are many places to tweak and adjust during the process. Start with this basic way and adjust to your own taste as you do more pics. So here it goes:

1. On the menu bar select "Image> Mode". Change mode to LAB color

2. Bring up the “Channels” menu and click on the “Lightness” channel.

(It may appear a bit bright when this is done, not to worry, that will change almost immediately)

3. Leave the Channels” menu up and go back to menu bar; Select "Image>Mode"

4. Click “Grayscale” You will be asked to discard the other channels here, click “OK”.

(The next steps are critical)

5. Put your cursor on the small thumbnail in the “Channels” menu.

6. On a PC hold down “Ctrl” and left click I don’t know about Macs (This will add an instant mask)

7. Go to the “Select” menu in the menu bar and click “INVERSE” (Critical)

8. Go to the “Layer” menu in the menu bar and select “New Fill Layer> Solid Color” when the “New Layer” box comes up click “OK”

9. The “Pick a Solid Color” box will appear. In the bottom white box labeled “#” type in “000000” (six zeros).This will make the picture appear very dark. Not to worry.

10. Go to the “Layers” drop down menu and adjust the Opacity to taste (Depending on the picture I generally find that somewhere between 20% and 70% works well, generally in the lower numbers, maybe a bit lighter than you would prefer)

This is going to be your basic B&W conversion that you will further tweak. Again, don’t get this too dark because in the next steps you may darken it a bit more

11.Go to the “Layer” menu in the menu bar and select “New Adjustment Layer>Curves”. When the “New Layer” box comes up, click “OK”.

11. Of course the reasons for the curves is to accentuate the highlights perhaps, darken the blacks perhaps. Each picture will require a different approach when you apply the curves. My philosophy is generally “less is more” so on the recent pic I used a very shallow “S” curve just to pop the highlights a tiny bit and darken the shadows a tiny bit. 35mm B&W often block up the shadows and that is what I was actually looking for in this particular conversion.

12. In the Layers Drop Down menu (or however you do this) copy the background layer.

13. While in the copied layer, go to “Unsharp Mask”. Note: you are not going to sharpen here but apply “Local Contrast” instead.

14. Try these numbers: Amount 18, Radius 150-180, Threshold 0. This pops the image pretty dramatically.

15. Flatten the image and you’re done (more or less)

To begin with follow the process exactly and then when you feel comfortable with it feel free to tweak wherever you like.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for this very useful tutorial , B&W conversion is a real problem to many of us.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Many thanks for this very useful tutorial , B&W conversion is a real problem to many of us.

My pleasure Attila. It's a lot of steps but after doing it several times it gets quite easy and one learns what to adjust for whatever effects one wants.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be a STICK-KEE! Smile

Thanks, Jules, I'll have to find a babelicious subject to try it on! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing it!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir!
I made a nice action script so I would not forget this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razster wrote:
Thank you sir!

Though i have made one too. I no longer recall i have done it exactly.
U could share yours in this thread for others if your want Smile !!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it folks.

It's become my "first" conversion, then If I don't like it, I try other stuff.

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakoo wrote:
Razster wrote:
Thank you sir!

Though i have made one too. I no longer recall i have done it exactly.
U could share yours in this thread for others if your want Smile !!

When I get some time I will upload the action.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a quick b+w conversion that works well, try the gradient map.

Done in a couple of keystrokes and by dragging the mid point slider you can adjust the effect.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you make action scripts? Something I've never found out about in PS (I'm using CS2). Will a script do batch processing job, for instance resizing many pics in one go? If someone could point me to a link that explains how to write and run scripts I will be eternally grateful! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
How do you make action scripts? Something I've never found out about in PS (I'm using CS2). Will a script do batch processing job, for instance resizing many pics in one go? If someone could point me to a link that explains how to write and run scripts I will be eternally grateful! Smile

For the resizing job for batch processing, You don't even have to script.
U could save a ACTION of your own & then load the action using the Batch conversion process.
The scripting is a tad harder, i doubt if many use it..
But there is a ebook for the same, if you find actions are not enough for your needs. Please ask if you need to know more on action.

Also intresting thought how do u guys resize for the web, i use a tech, learned from guys at www.gfxartist.com .. I will share it but i doubt its useful for this forum Smile