Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Landscape and Lydith
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Landscape and Lydith Reply with quote

Last sunday I made a bit of a experiment.

I went out with my Oly e410 and my Chinon CX, the Meyer Lydith 30/3.5, a roll of Velvia 50, a polarizer and a couple of Cokin ND split screens.

This is the first part of experiment, the digital images processed with Alien Skin Exposure to mimick Velvia 50.

As soon as the film roll will be developed we'll see the real Velvia images.

I'm really curious as some images has been taken in the same place (of course the film camera is full frame so the images will have a real wideangle perspective).

Anyway here's the digital ones:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them very much ! I think Velvia 50 will be better, but not much! Great series ! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I like them very much ! I think Velvia 50 will be better, but not much! Great series ! Thank you!

Thanks Attila.

Btw, as you asked in past about landscape shooting, some instruments are really needed to get decent results. Polarizers, ND split screens and other filters really make THE difference. I couldn't get those skyes and clouds without them, just horrible blobs of overexposed grey.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for useful advice!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very lovely landscape scenes. Well done.

I have to agree with the filters, at least polarized.
I have yet to use ND filters, but polarized glass certainly has made a
big difference for my own outdoor shots.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro
Really look forward to the film comparison - this is a very hard act to follow. You are of course quite correct about the use of filters, but I so often forget to bring them! Embarassed Embarassed Surprised (?) at the quality of the Lydith, for some reason I have always thought they were only "average", but this shows much better than that.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens quality is always depend from photographers, just look LouiseGalerie images we never expect those clarity from dirt cheap lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice colors from the Meyer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice so far
I am also very curious about this comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series!
The sky makes a lot of difference so it's interesting to hear about how you did it. It almost looked a bit HDRish.

I almost bought a Lydith to my small Zebra collection but I managed to forget the auction.
I regret that now, especially since it went very cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glorious countryside Allesandro, and the beautiful clear light really makes a difference. I wish I could achieve pics like these, our sky is nearly always hazy. Does the polariser help with this? I will need to look up ND split screens, I've never come across them before.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarizers (and also UV filters, but a lot less) help to remove scattered lights from hazy landscapes, improving overall contrast. The weather was clear but not as showed in these pictures.

To help previsualize the effect just wear good quality sunglasses, they usually are polarized.

If I can give an advice I'm currently reading "National Audubon Society Guide to Landscape Photography" by Tim Fitzharris (http://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon-Society-Landscape-Photography/dp/155407195X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226436619&sr=8-1). It's an excellent book for its price and while I already knew of polarizers and ND split screens nonetheless it is plenty of good advices and great pictures to show the concepts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pretty countryside!!! And clear and clean pictures,

Very nice! I am also thinking about the landscape photography..

thanks for your nice serie and useful infos Alessandro!

I am really looking for the film version!!! Smile

tf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's go film now!

I'm uploading these ones as soon as I'm scanning them, so bear with me Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one that I also shot in digital. Film colors are way more natural, not to count the full frame advantage (well there' s also a lot of vignetting though) for a staggering 17,1 MP of the original TIFF file (and with resolution at the same level than the Oly e410).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alessandro
I love the film versions also the best.
I must admit that the e410 is quite handicapped as compared to full frame Velvia.
It is also quite handicapped as compared to most cropped and all full frame DSLR's.
If you used a full frame 5D or D700/D3 I think the comparison would be more interesting.
The 4/3 sensor although quite competent is still quite lacking in DR and renders flatter as compared to a Big CMOS.
Not wanting to take the air out of this thread. The comparison is Velvia versus 4/3 and for that case the argument for vulva is clear.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Alessandro
I love the film versions also the best.
I must admit that the e410 is quite handicapped as compared to full frame Velvia.
It is also quite handicapped as compared to most cropped and all full frame DSLR's.
If you used a full frame 5D or D700/D3 I think the comparison would be more interesting.
The 4/3 sensor although quite competent is still quite lacking in DR and renders flatter as compared to a Big CMOS.
Not wanting to take the air out of this thread. The comparison is Velvia versus 4/3 and for that case the argument for vulva is clear.

You're quite right, the more I shot film the more I don't feel the urge to buy a full frame digital camera. Maybe if I'll have to shoot some well paid assignment Wink

Last edited by A G Photography on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
I just noticed my typo in the last sentence above.
I think I 'll leave it as the argument for that is clear also Wink