Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor (Tamron) 135/3.5 M37 pre-T2 screw mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Soligor (Tamron) 135/3.5 M37 pre-T2 screw mount Reply with quote

This is an old Tamron preset lens (sold as a Soligor), a model 860 from about 1960.

I picked this up assuming that it was a normal T2-mount - it did come with an M44 Miranda mount that LOOKS like a T2-mount - but its not.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm135f3_5.htm

It turns out that this lens, like the first Tamron third-party lens, the Model 280 135/4.5 Duo-Tamron, is NOT a t-mount at all. Both use the same M37 thread for their interchangable mounts. In fact I swapped the Exakta mount from the model 280 on this one, and its just right to get infinity on my Exaktas.

So I speculate that this standard M37 Tamron mount was an early version of the T2-mount that was used on several lens models. The M42 T2 mount that we know today must have come a little later. This is interesting, but it means I had to use that Exakta mount with one of my Exakta adapters, and I don't get infinity with that, just 50 feet/15 meters.

The lens itself is a very well made, typical Tamron product of the day, with the characteristic glossy enamel finish. It is a very conventional design with the Japanese style double aperture rings, but with a rather different and interesting look. It was sold under the Soligot brand, and as usual with Tamron-Soligors it has a "T" serial number.

It focuses down to 6ft/2m, which is fair for the period. Performance is reasonably good, it is a sharp enough lens at f/3.5, but it suffers from flare or glare in backlight situations. The glass is very clean and in good condition, so it may be that this lens just doesn't like my camera.

The last few days were rainy and dark, so I am not satisfied with the quality of the test shots.

The kids wanted a "Tardis" pumpkin, they are all Dr. Who fans now.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis,

As said in other thread it might be the same as the Sands Hunter and the Weltblick...
I got the Sands Hunter with T2 mount. It came witn a T2 to Exakta adapter, so more coincidences...

BTW, your samples are outstanding, (much better than mines, and I forgot the bird...) Wink

Thanks for sharing!

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I'm sure its the same lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching auction for similar lens Click here to see on Ebay, but I gave up. Your lens is very sharp, but I wasn't sure that 2.8 will be the same, the SN was not 4 digits but 5. Seller had other quite interesting lens Click here to see on Ebay, but I gave up it either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Voytek,

That 135 is a Tamron, its got the "T" serial number and it matches the 135/2.8 T-mount Duo-Tamron in all details. I have one. Its not quite as sharp at 2.8, but perfectly fine a little stopped down.

I was looking at the Ashreh, but I have bought enough lenses for the month. Its an interesting name, I've seen it around before, some camera-store brand I think. The lens may be one of the preset Tokina line.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
(....)but I have bought enough lenses for the month.(...)

I see, I am not alone. The same problem. To many....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
I was watching auction for similar lens Click here to see on Ebay, but I gave up. Your lens is very sharp, but I wasn't sure that 2.8 will be the same, the SN was not 4 digits but 5. Seller had other quite interesting lens Click here to see on Ebay, but I gave up it either.

Me too, what was disengaging me was the title: [NO MOUNT] at the end. That might mean the lens is T2 but the backside is missing...
So I preferred not to bid.

Jes.