Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Grey Squirrel
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Grey Squirrel Reply with quote

The squirrels in the Botanical Gardens are extremely tame and approach very closely. So, sitting on a park bench, I was unable to "back off" to get a decent shot. Also the flash sync on my camera is only 1/200 s which is barely fast enough to freeze the action. Anyway...

Vega 12 2.8/90 at f/8, with flash, on Nikon D40x

Last edited by sichko on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice captures, but I have so many 'skwerls' around my place
that I hate the little hooligans.

They get into EVERYthing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrid nasty little tree rats Twisted Evil but very photogenic Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks fat. How do they feed him? Razz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one was taken in March with an AF zoom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots John.

We have a lot of them here. They are twice the size of the red squirrels, but the reds will tackle them and drive them away from the food everytime. I've had a couple of them as pets over the years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely captures! I just love the squirrels Smile

Here we have more red squirrels, but sometimes a brown one or two also shows up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your comments. A large number of people feed the squirrels. Peanuts are the usual food although one person regularly turns up with one or two large packets of biscuits. The squirrels usually have to compete with the pigeons which outnumber them. Occasionaly one or two crows intervene and dominate proceedings and sometimes a rat will sneak out of the undergrowth and grab something.

Red squirrels are only found in a few parts of the UK. I believe they like pine forrests. The greys threaten the reds - simply through sheer numbers. But there are reports that a virus is starting to even things out. About a third of reds are immune to it. So, over a period of time, a population derived from that third should dominate.