Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax 139 Quartz problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Contax 139 Quartz problem Reply with quote

It is a shame but I can not solve shutter/rewind problem. I am very inexperienced regarding film cameras.
Battery are dead, meter doesn't work. I was told by friend that this camera can be equipped with system which doesn't allow shutter to work without film. That could be an answer however when I try to load the film I can not do it proper way regarding locked rewind. Any idea what to try before I will turn to the service and pay? Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did some quick reading. It appears the shutter is electronic.
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/contax/contax_139/contax_139.htm

Maybe a new battery will solve the problem?

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the "quartz" part is a good hint that the shutter timing is electronic. I have a 139Q, i just tried what you're doing and it won't work without batteries. It works fine without film, so you just need to try new batteries and hope that the electronics are ok. In my experience, it's a very good camera, you'll enjoy it Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've made my day. I will get batteries soon, then I will try Planar 1.7/50 for the very first time Very Happy . If this is different issue than batteries -we will see.
BTW what is a difference between Mercury and alkaline batteries regarding usage in film cameras? At Wolf Camera they told me that I suppose to buy Mercury ones for Contax.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury batteries last much longer and have a very stable voltage (1.35V). alkalines have higher voltage (1.5V), last less and their voltage varies a lot as they discharge (1.5+ new to 0.9 or less while still providing enough current). Some old cameras rely on the constant voltage mercury cells provide and will give wrong metering if you use other voltage, which is a problem nowadays that mercury batteries are banned.

I don't remember if that's the case with the 139Q, i'll check the batteries i have, just a sec...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. i'm using Varta V76PX silver oxide batteries (1.55V), not mercury Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great voytec! don't forget to download the manual of the Contax 139

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for such detailed information Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you can not get mercury batteries anymore. You will want to buy a WeinCell battery in order for your meter to work right.
http://www.weincell.com/

Make sure to follow the instructions to activate the battery as they have to be in open air (with green sticker removed) to work right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera is made for silver batteries - no worries about the voltage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan is correct! This needs 2: S76 batteries 1.5V. No worries about Mercury batteries Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.