Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Who made Auto Yashinon DX 50/1.7 lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Who made Auto Yashinon DX 50/1.7 lens? Reply with quote

I was cleaning a early Petri C.C. Auto 55/1.8 lens (with silver "hood"), and in my junk box there were some parts from salvaged Auto Yashinon DX 50/1.7 lens too. Sizing look similar, so I tried and front label retaining ring screwed into Petri body without problems! So I've decided to have a further look and examined both lens parts in details. Their internal construction seems to be quite similar. So, maybe they are both made at same factory? since there is no info on who made early Petri lenses, but Yashica history is much more clear, maybe we can determine who made early Petri lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have those lenses and my DX is by far superior to my CC.
I think that I read that some Petri lenses were made by Sun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have five or six Petri CC 1.8/55s. They look identical on the outside, but once you take them apart, there are clearly two different mechanical designs, so maybe two different makers.

The Petri CC 1.8/55 is a hidden classic, sharpness at infinity is among the very best and overall, the lens performs every bit as well as the contemporary 1.8/55s Fujinon or Takumar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later lenses, with rubber grip, might be made by Sun. But earlier ones, look more like some Soligor/Juplen/Fujita lens (internal construction).

P.S. my Petri is not that bad, might take some photos later this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, early Petri lenses, some have flat pin, some have round pin. Round pin ones are easier to convert to other mounts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashinon DX 50mm f1.7 was made for Yashica by Tomioka.

Although Tomioka made a number of 50/55mm primes for other brands, the Yashinon internals are different to those other Tomiokas. The design is more complicated and I assume it was specified by Yashica.

I happen to have one apart on my desk. Nameplates of the same filter diameter will thread onto other lenses. So that shouldn't be used to suspect same manufacturer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Yashinon DX 50mm f1.7 was made for Yashica by Tomioka.

Although Tomioka made a number of 50/55mm primes for other brands, the Yashinon internals are different to those other Tomiokas. The design is more complicated and I assume it was specified by Yashica.

I happen to have one apart on my desk. Nameplates of the same filter diameter will thread onto other lenses. So that shouldn't be used to suspect same manufacturer.

I have an all black copy of this lens. It is not just a very good standard lens, it is truly excellent. At first I thought the high quality design and posh feel of this little beauty might be affecting my judgement a little bit, but after using it extensively I am convinced of it's superior qualities. I know that too many lenses are attributed as Tomioka these days, but I suspect that you are right about this one WNG555.

Since you have one apart on your desk can you tell me how many elements and groups? What is the build quality like inside? Any brass? I'm not taking mine apart unless I absolutely have to. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:

I have an all black copy of this lens. It is not just a very good standard lens, it is truly excellent. At first I thought the high quality design and posh feel of this little beauty might be affecting my judgement a little bit, but after using it extensively I am convinced of it's superior qualities. I know that too many lenses are attributed as Tomioka these days, but I suspect that you are right about this one WNG555.

Since you have one apart on your desk can you tell me how many elements and groups? What is the build quality like inside? Any brass? I'm not taking mine apart unless I absolutely have to. Thanks.

Sorry for taking a bit, but I wanted to get a few shots up, since a picture is worth a 1000 words. Wink

The one I have disassembled is one with the silver polished front nose. Unfortunately, the seller didn't pack it properly and the lens was distressed by compression. The barrel has play in it. Tried to see if I could save it by reassembling the body. But ran into another issue with the helicoid. Then I spotted another DX for sale and this one is an all-black model. It was in excellent shape and is sharp as a tack.
I had recently picked up several vintage nifty-fifties besides the DX. They included a Yashinon DS f1.9, DS f1.4, Fujinon 55 f1.8 (silver ring), Fujinon non-EBC 55 f1.8, Mamiya/Sekor Auto 55 f1.4, Nikkor-SC f1.4, and Rikenon f1.7. An afternoon of comparison shooting revealed the DX bested all except the Nikkor, at wide open in sharpness and bokeh. The DX and Nikkor-SC were even wide open and edged out the DX only when stopped down.
None of the listed models are inferior lenses. The Yashinon DX 1.7 deserves high praise, and be in the ranks with the Super Takumar 55 f1.8. I've also tried the later DS and DS-M 50 f1.7, and they are equally great. But construction had changed.

I didn't disassemble the inner module of the DX since the lenses are clean. But I did open up the DS f1.9 to remove stains from water entering under the front lens. The DS module is updated and a bit harder to disassemble. I was not counting the number of elements, but I recall 3 up front, and the rear element assembly was one piece possibly with 2-3 elements and maybe cemented.
I believe the formula is a classic double-gauss 'planar'.
The body did reveal less/no brass used.

The pics show the DX has a outer helicoid of brass. I've taken apart an Argus Auto-Cintar (Chinon), Fujinon EBC, Tokina, Hexanon AR 50 f1.7 and MD Rokkor-X f1.7. They all follow the same basic construction. The Argus being a Tomioka product, it was interesting to find the differences when I opened the DX.

ADDENDUM: Correction to my statement above....getting old and blurring memory! Very Happy
I found old photos of the Argus and it is a similar build as the Yashinon, only cheaper, and no brass.

Yashinon DX 50mm f1.7 - 1 by wNG 555, on Flickr
Yashinon DX 50mm f1.7 - 2 by wNG 555, on Flickr
Yashinon DX 50mm f1.7 - 3 by wNG 555, on Flickr
Yashinon DX 50mm f1.7 - 4 by wNG 555, on Flickr
Yashinon DX 50mm f1.7 - 5 by wNG 555, on Flickr