Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First shots with Kenko soft focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: First shots with Kenko soft focus Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to take the Kenko soft focus l picked up in the Marketplace (thanks again Klaus!):

Kenko Pics

Soft focus is a love it or hate it thing, and I absolutely love it! Most of these pics have a little sharpening and some contrast adjustment, but you can get the idea of what the lens is good for. Haven't really gotten to try it yet with portraiture, but I'll post a few samples as soon as I round someone up in the studio. Well, someone more attractive than me anyway...

Slightly OT: I've tried putting links to the pictures using the img tag and a link to my Flickr page, and they show up in preview, but when I post they don't show at all. Is there some kind of anti-spam voodoo I need to do to get the pics to show in-post?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: First shots with Kenko soft focus Reply with quote

McCroskey42 wrote:
I finally got a chance to take the Kenko soft focus l picked up in the Marketplace (thanks again Klaus!):

Kenko Pics

Soft focus is a love it or hate it thing, and I absolutely love it! Most of these pics have a little sharpening and some contrast adjustment, but you can get the idea of what the lens is good for. Haven't really gotten to try it yet with portraiture, but I'll post a few samples as soon as I round someone up in the studio. Well, someone more attractive than me anyway...

Slightly OT: I've tried putting links to the pictures using the img tag and a link to my Flickr page, and they show up in preview, but when I post they don't show at all. Is there some kind of anti-spam voodoo I need to do to get the pics to show in-post?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey , you did great job! Welcome to aboard!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: First shots with Kenko soft focus Reply with quote

McCroskey42 wrote:
...Slightly OT: I've tried putting links to the pictures using the img tag and a link to my Flickr page, and they show up in preview, but when I post they don't show at all. Is there some kind of anti-spam voodoo I need to do to get the pics to show in-post?

It happened to me too yesterday, but others could actually see the pics, then later, I could as well.

FWIW, your link seems ok, but leads me back to the main forum page... hmm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome McCroskey42!
the problem you got with your link is a anti spam feature
I click the link in Attila reply to see your pics
from now that Attila have enable you, your links and pics will be valid
I like your dreamy pics, must be tricky to master but result is superb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shots are well taken and is evident you know how to shoot properly.

I say this because what I'm saying is not to judge you, but still I feel the soft focus effect of that lens too much artificial and "forced", just if in PS you duplicate the image in a new layer and blur it to death.

I far prefer the effect of the Meyer Trioplan wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can help out a bit, here the link to the pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mccroskey/tags/kenkosoftfocus2885/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mccroskey/tags/kenkosoftfocus/

[@Alessandro: If you look a bit closer to the "effect" of a proper soft focus lens and what can be done in photoshop, you may notice subtle differences (which makes a big difference, at least for me). Generations of still famous photographers were using pictorial soft focus lenses for their work; many manufacturers invested quite some brain and finances to produce such lenses; some of them still very much searched for and very expensive. This is quite a different world of photography of the finer tones - and not for everyone; so you may want to reconsider such a harsh commenting tone?]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
[@Alessandro: If you look a bit closer to the "effect" of a proper soft focus lens and what can be done in photoshop, you may notice subtle differences (which makes a big difference, at least for me). Generations of still famous photographers were using pictorial soft focus lenses for their work; many manufacturers invested quite some brain and finances to produce such lenses; some of them still very much searched for and very expensive. This is quite a different world of photography of the finer tones - and not for everyone; so you may want to reconsider such a harsh commenting tone?]

I'm not making generalized or "harsh" statements. I would get a Rodenstock Imagon every day.
But sincerely it has a completely different output than the Kenko, considering that it doesn't seems to me that the fault is in the photographer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see what AG means but don't agree that a blur layer in PS produces a good result.
There are many very good ways of doing a soft focus in PS and many traditional ways of doing it in the darkroom and with the camera and any lens.
I do like your shots but they have a 'Blanket' effect as if done with a filter. A 'Diffuse glow' effect which is very easy to do.
If you like this effect and want to do it in camera with some control try a UV filter with a bit of vaseline. Start with just a thin layer round the outside leaving a clear centre spot then add more till you get the look you want.
Alternativly PS Filter- Distort-Diffuse Glow used on a mask layer gives lots of control and choice of soft effect.
I like many methods of doing it inc the lens option. I have a triplet lens from an old Lubitel camera in a home made mount which is nice wide open and of course Lens Baby as well as some lenses which give a soft flare haze when used with the right lighting.

I don't know anything about the Kenko soft focus lens so I am probably very wrong but it does look as if they have just put a simple filter in the lens

Simple Diffuse Glow added in Photoshop as a layer for control. The effect can be adjusted to taste.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the kind comments and tips! The lens itself doesn't have an internal filter that I can see. From what I understand about how it works, the soft-focus effect comes from spherical aberration, which is why it clears up as you stop the lens down. I don't have any examples from this shoot where I have the same subject at different apertures (I was too stoked with the look to think about clinical comparisons Smile ), but the real advantage over something like the Vaseline-on-filter approach is that it's controllable without changing filters, not to mention a lot less sticky in the camera bag. If the weather clears up a bit, I'm going to head out to a huge flower farm in Carlsbad today, and I'll see about some more A/B style comparisons.

[@Alessandro: No worries...I didn't find the tone of your comments to be too critical. Like I said, soft focus is an issue of taste, and there are many ways to achieve the effect, all with their pluses and minuses. I appreciate the comments and a different perspective!]

Although I'm currently darkroom-less at the moment, I do plan on going back to my roots and doing the traditional black and white printmaking process at some point. Digital has convenience and infinite possibilities, but traditional printmaking has its own appeal as a process, even if your hands do wind up smelling like fix. The Kenko will let me do soft focus the really old-fashioned way when I'm back in the analog mode.

I'll probably get an old triplet to play with at some point in the future...any good recommendations?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found the older post about this lens with examples shots
http://forum.mflenses.com/kenko-2-8-85mm-soft-focus-t10626.html

Finding the right lens that produces character you like is a matter of trial and error.

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCroskey42 wrote:

I'll probably get an old triplet to play with at some point in the future...any good recommendations?

If you want sharpness CZJ Triotar 135/4, if you want soft focus and glow Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 shooting wide open, once stopped down is similar to the Triotar.