Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hanimex Zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Hanimex Zoom Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110285425778#ebayphotohosting

I've wanted a m42 low-range zoom for quite a while now and I finally got the chance. Supposedly Hanimex (I'm not sure of the actual manufacturer) made a zoom of almost the same specs with a filter thread of 72mm and a longer focus distance. This lens on the other hand is reportedly better with a 62mm filter thread and closer focus distance. Unfortunately I can't find much info on it. I expect a fairly average quality lens but it will offer the much desired versatility in the field. Any thoughts?

~Marc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no input from experience with this lens I'm sorry.
The seller however I would advise you to avoid as he is a super trickster with a bad attitude and worse items Mad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? He seems to have some quality stuff and a great feedback record....plus he responded quite quickly to a question. Has he changed his profile to escape that reputation?

EDIT : Ehhh yeah, I searched the name and you are correct. Hopefully the lens will be ok and not a lemon, it really does look "new."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget zoom from the late 80's largely sold through an electrical retailer called Dixon's and catalogue shops. I've not used the zoom, but had a 35mm from the same period and it was an average no-name Japanese lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hanimex C-Macro 80-200 (As does Carsten too) and it's a nice and solidly made lens but with what I would say average performance although as I haven't used it in years, I should really evaluate it again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Really? He seems to have some quality stuff and a great feedback record....plus he responded quite quickly to a question. Has he changed his profile to escape that reputation?

EDIT : Ehhh yeah, I searched the name and you are correct. Hopefully the lens will be ok and not a lemon, it really does look "new."

Marc - I've bought several items from Rocky, some OK, some problems. You need to be aware you are taking a gamble, some you win and some you lose. Personally I wouldn't gamble much more than £10/$20. And look out for what he doesn't say - for instance if he doesn't say the aperture is working OK then it probably isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Budget zoom from the late 80's largely sold through an electrical retailer called Dixon's and catalogue shops. I've not used the zoom, but had a 35mm from the same period and it was an average no-name Japanese lens.

Hanimex was an Australian company I think. Their MO was similar to Vivitar, items manufactured by other companies. I haven't tried their lenses, but their cameras were similar to the cheapest Kodaks - my wife had a Hanimex 126 Instamatic at one time. I have a Hanimex carousel-type slide projector which I bought in a local camera shop in the late 60s, and it's still working perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Richard_D wrote:

Hanimex was an Australian company I think. Their MO was similar to Vivitar, items manufactured by other companies. I haven't tried their lenses, but their cameras were similar to the cheapest Kodaks - my wife had a Hanimex 126 Instamatic at one time. I have a Hanimex carousel-type slide projector which I bought in a local camera shop in the late 60s, and it's still working perfectly.

Yes - some of their early lenses were re-badged Tamron's (the pre-set long focus lenses). I don't think they ever produced anything like the Vivitar Series 1 'quality' range, but there's probably some decent performers amongst their branded stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
I have a Hanimex C-Macro 80-200 (As does Carsten too) and it's a nice and solidly made lens but with what I would say average performance although as I haven't used it in years, I should really evaluate it again.

Yep.

I've got three Hanimex lenses, all of them are average performers, not really excellent but not particularly bad either.

Hanimex Automatic 3.5/23 (I have never seen a below-24mm lens go for so little money again.)

Hanimex Tele-Lens 4/100 (This is a really small lens, about as big as my right thumb.)

Hanimex C-Macro 4.5/80-200 (My copy had some fungus, when I cleaned it I accidentally turned around an internal lens. I quite like that strange result, so I left it.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I certainly don't have huge expectations. It will probably come down to a battle between convenience and quality. If the lens loses I hopefully can sell it for somewhere close to the price I got it for. But it any case I'll be sure to post the results

~Marc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanimex is a South korean brand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandie wrote:

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Hanimex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang is a South Korean brand.

I've had a truly horrible Hanimex 135/2.8 from Hong Kong (the axle for the stop-down pin was plastic!) and an average Hanimex 200/3.5 (average because the Pentax 135/3.5 beats it wide-open) but with pretty good mechanical build.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanimex sold some of the cheapest lenses.

But they sold almost everything at one time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Sandie wrote:

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Hanimex

Thank you for enlightening me! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this lens a couple weeks ago and am very surprised by the build quality. It is actually all metal except for the rubber focus ring. All incredibly smooth functionality. From what I've heard I was almost expecting an all-plastic dog of a lens...this was a wonderful choice. The macro setting allows me to focus to about 10cm from the front element at 28mm which is fairly nice. It works almost like a variable extension-tube. The experience I had with the seller rocky, although he is reportedly bad news, was a good one. I got the lens promptly and it was well packed. The lens was "brand new" as described with both front/back caps, cloth case, and original box (not that that matters to me). I'm shooting with a roll of Tri-x with the Zenit 122 that Jesito so generously gave me. I'll be sure to post the results.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing the results I am quite pleased with this lens. Knowing that most of the shots were hand-held at 1/30th and shooting wide-open at f3.5 I wasn't expecting the sharpest shots in the world so there's no complaint there. Sorry I haven't had the time to post anything. I will within the next week or so.

For some reason though I missed the focus in almost a fifth of the roll; something that I never have had problems with before. Is there something that I'm not getting with the lens? I assumed the macro setting could be used with the full-range...am I wrong? Is it better with some focal lengths than others? I'd greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!

~Marc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc
thought this might interest you.
Hanimex 400mm F6.3

Some of there lenses give pretty good results as this was hand held on my A200 sony.
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one is just brilliant ! I love the lighting.

Perfect application of the 400mm.