Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Proper lens hoods for Pentacon 30 and Lydith?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Proper lens hoods for Pentacon 30 and Lydith? Reply with quote

I'm trying to find what the original lens hoods looked like for the Meyer-Optik Lydith, and the Pentacon 30/3.5. I have both lenses, and I'd rather use the original hoods as opposed to a rubber or metal cheap replacement. Have any of you ever seen these hoods?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originals may not have ever existed. If your looking for something of good quality designed for 30ish lenses there is the Takumar-make square hood for the 3.5/28mm. I believe it is a slip on for 49mm threads so it will fit the lydith. Since it was specially designed for the focal length I imagine it is calibrated so it will not cause vignetting. The square design has advantages over circular designs as well. Just my two-cents. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate it. I've also seen a Pentax square hood for the 24mm; I wonder if that'd be too short to be useful?

So, another question. Since these lenses can be prone to flaring (though the Pentacon has, in theory, better coatings) what do you folks use for hoods? Or do you use them at all? Do you use the cheap-looking, but apparently functional, rubber hoods, or the metal ones, or perhaps the paper ones here:http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/? Smile Although, to be honest, they don't have one for a manual focus 30mm.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the lydith is very prone to flare. The only time I've heard mention of paper hoods is when real ones are just too expensive or impossible to get (the helios 40 comes to mind - which has something like a 66mm thread). If your looking for intentional flaring or low contrast than no hood is the way to go. Otherwise I feel it always pays to use one. I have always bought aluminum circular hoods and never been disappointed. Rubber hoods are nice because if you want to quit using it it will just fold back. Once it is folded back you can also put the lens cap back on, which cuts down on constant screwing and unscrewing. Petal/square ones supposedly maximize the arrangement but circular ones are cheap and plentiful.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 49mm petal hood on mine seems to be ok no vignetting etc, btw which do you prefer the Pentacon or the Meyer? or is there any difference between? mine is the Pentacon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note you are using a crop factor DSLR so you should have no problem with one of the many 49mm metal hoods of that period which were made for 50mm 'Standard lenses. Find loads of them at any Car boot Sales, charity shop, junk shop sale. I use them on all my 28mm lenses.
I'm just looking at one and the Lydith. The lens fits neatly into the hood when not mounted and is the same sort of finish and metal. It isn't a rare item as mentioned you should be able to easily find a few for 50p each.

PS When you find your metal lens hoods be carefull how you pack them in your bag. Nothing damages lenses quicker than being rubbed against a metal lens hood.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the lenshood for the takumar 3,5/35 or 3,5/28?

Rino.